Saturday, October 2, 2010

Day # 128 - No News is Good News

I am a Yahoo! user. If you're familiar with Yahoo! you know that their home page is loaded with information including news headlines. I'd call them deadlines for what they do to your spirit. This is not a dig at Yahoo!, this is a comment on the nature of the stories being reported. The headlines right now are about 36 people dead in a train crash and bank robbers killing a poor security guard. Has nothing else happened in the world in the last 24 hours? In the last 24 minutes?

This is what we are force-fed, and I believe it is destroying dreams and happiness. Further, I believe the helplessness one feels as a result of this feeds the government and the "news" organizations, giving them more and more power over our lives.

I used to be one of those people, reading news all the time, pausing whenever a TV was tuned to CNN, my car radio was always tuned to the news station. I feel as if God was trying to do good things in my life but I was so focused on all the bad things happening in the world that I ignored Him.

If you are a news junkie, stop. I'm not saying become uninformed or ignorant, just cut down on the amount of garbage you consume. Think of it as eating one cookie instead of a whole box of cookies. Satisfy the craving without overdoing it. Since I have cut out the noise, I have noticed an incredible difference in my life. I am more positive, closer to the people I love, I don't lose my temper the way I used to. Part of this, of course, is because I committed to make my life better in every way, but there is no doubt in my mind that I would not have made these strides if I was still eating garbage three hours a day.

Replace the news with a positive, uplifting book, or dedicate the time to learning a new skill, something you've always dreamed of doing but thought you never had the time. Every minute spent glued to the idiot box is wasted and does not improve your life one bit. Put that time to better use.

Start right now.

- Adolfo

http://ayearwithoutnews.blogspot.com
http://www.honeybeepartyrental.com
http://www.facebook.com/adolfojimenez1
http://www.twitter.com/adolfojimenez

No comments:

Post a Comment