Monday, October 25, 2010

Day # 151 - Of Luck and Faith

I was a superstitious person. I used to believe that it was bad to spill salt, or break a mirror. I would cross the street to avoid a black cat and was convinced that Friday the 13th was not just another day on the calendar. Then, a couple of years ago, it dawned on me: Superstition is the absence of faith. Superstition is the absence of self-confidence. I eliminated superstition from my life just like that. No more fear of jinxing myself. No more fear of things beyond my control. No more ancient stupidity influencing my life, my decisions, my behavior.

Since I made the switch from superstition to faith, I sleep better (not that I sleep much – although this won’t be published very early, I am writing at 5:40AM and I have been awake for about an hour.) I don’t worry about dumb things, and now I avoid cats because I am allergic to them, not because they are the guardians of the underworld or bringers of bad luck. I do not believe faith should lead to inaction. I believe one must be active in faith as in anything else in life. Having faith doesn’t mean you sit on the couch and wait for the lottery. It means you go confidently in the direction of your dreams. It means you live fearlessly, deliberately.

Too often, we believe that good things will come if we are patient and we are good. It’s better than being impatient and bad, but it’s not enough. Be a decent person, be a good and patient person – and then work yourself as hard as you can.
If you want a college degree, how many ways can you get it? That’s right: there’s only one way to earn a college degree. Why should a million dollars be any different? Why should a thriving marriage be any different? Why should good kids or success in life be any different? We look at people who have a healthy marriage and tell ourselves they are lucky. We see someone in a nice car, pulling into a nice house, and we say, what a lucky guy! Arnold Palmer said: “The harder I work, the luckier I get.” (I think it was Arnold Palmer.)

In spite of what the government is trying to convince you of, successful people are not evil and they are not lucky. 80% of the millionaires in the US are first-generation rich. Are you going to tell me those people are all lucky? Sure, some people seem to get breaks they don’t deserve. Maybe that’s because while you think they don’t deserve the break, they believe they are entitled to the break, and as I’ve written before, dear reader: you will meet yourself at your expectations.

Trade in your luck for faith. My faith is in God, and it works great for me. If you don’t want to accept that you are not some cosmic accident, have faith in yourself, or in Zeus, or in the trees, and see how it works for you. Release the superstitions and embrace the spiritual. Take control of your life and stop wasting salt by throwing it over your shoulder. Decide your own destiny and resolve to live the best life you can. The life you are meant to live.

God bless you. Make it a great day because only you can.

- Adolfo

No comments:

Post a Comment