Thursday, October 21, 2010

Day # 147 - Breaking Habits

If this exercise is really about anything, it's about habits. It's about breaking habits and starting habits. Out with the bad and in with the good. Old and new. Whatever, you get the point.

Abby and I have committed to changing certain things about our life. For too long, we have been slaves to consumerism and it has affected our lives in a decidedly negative fashion. We decided to go on a diet of sorts. We are changing our consumption, our habits, how we treat one another, how we talk and what we do with our spare time.

Yesterday, Abby backslid. She did something that was completely in opposition to what we are trying to accomplish as a family.

I calmly told her I was disappointed. That's it. I didn't pop. I didn't yell, I didn't judge. Well, maybe I did judge by telling her I was disappointed, but I didn't criticize.

This morning, she thanked me. She thanked me for keeping my cool, for calmly sharing my feelings, and for allowing her to see the error of her ways. I understand making mistakes. I have a lot of experience in that area. Only recently have I begun to understand the value of accepting responsibility. You can't lead if you don't take responsibility and you can't be anything other than a follower if you're not leading.

It may not seem like much, but it was big step for me. I feel a little pride swelling at what my wife said to me this morning.

That's progress. And this kind of progress is very good indeed.

Make a step today. Even a baby step. You know in which direction.

- Adolfo

No comments:

Post a Comment