Thursday, October 14, 2010

Day # 140 - Quiet Time

Are you awakened by an alarm clock? Or are you one of those people like myself, who wake up early even when you would rather be asleep? I am sitting down to write at 5:30 but I have been up since before 5:00. Some people think it's nuts to wake up this early unless you have a flight to catch or there's a drill sergeant in your face.

I had lunch with my son earlier this week and he asked me about writing. It seems he is developing the desire to write, but can't figure out when. I know he is like me in that his sleep patterns are erratic, so I told him to take advantage of the small hours. There's a lot to be said for working early in the morning when all you hear is the ticking of the clock and the settling of the house. At this time in the morning, nothing has happened to ruin your day or cloud your thoughts. Your mind is as clear as it will be all day.

Back when I was writing novels and screenplays, I would wake up early, write for an hour or two, and then get ready for work. This was ideal because I could go to bed each night knowing I'd done my writing, and there were never any ideas nagging me throughout the day. There was never the feeling of not having done what I should have done. Only the peace that one gets from accomplishing the task at hand.

Since I've been writing this column, I have almost always written before doing anything else. As time is progressing, I am becoming more disciplined about it, even ignoring the desire to check my emails until later on, after I'm done. In fact, my phone chimed before I started. A month ago, I would have stopped to check the message, today, I walked away. There is little chance of it being something incredibly important or time sensitive, and as my sister used to say, "if it's an emergency, they'll call 911."

The lesson is to embrace the silence. There will be plenty of time all day for noise. I am not speaking specifically about writing. Use the small hours to read, pray, meditate, write to loved ones, reflect, whatever. Don't curse the fact that you are awake, if you are, embrace it. Know that it is God waking you up, not your problems. Still your mind and listen. Rumi said, "the morning breeze has secrets to tell you, do not go back to sleep."

God bless you. Make it a great, productive day.

- Adolfo

http://www.cakewhimsybyabdaliz.com
http://www.adolfojimenez.com
http://www.honeybeepartyrental.com
http://www.facebook.com/adolfojimenez1
http://www.twitter.com/adolfojimenez

No comments:

Post a Comment