Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day # 221 - Teeth, Men, Women

Emily is about to lose her first tooth. It's one of the front bottom ones. She's so cute, I can't stand it. I spent most of the day with the girls yesterday but the tooth didn't become a problem until mommy came home. Coincidence? I doubt it.

The irony is that I am the "leave it alone" parent. I don't mess with the tooth, I let nature run its course. Abby, on the other hand, brings out the explosives, hammer, and chisel and goes after the tooth. (Slight exaggeration.) You would expect the child to talk to me about the tooth and then button up when mom gets home. It doesn't always work that way. Mom is still Mom.

In this society, where so many would like to blur the roles of mothers and fathers, or men and women, it's amazing how nature always finds a way. Dad carries the groceries in from the car, cuts the lawn, and chases lizards out of the house; Mom takes care of the babies when they don't feel well. This isn't sexism, it's reality. They come to me when they're scared, they go to mom when they don't feel well.

Emily is only five. Is it early to be losing a tooth? The same happened with Melissa so I guess not. See, these are things dads don't know. All I know is I can't stand to see my little girls unhappy, so I will let that tooth hang on in there until it says, "Enough, I quit!" and walks out on it's own. Anything to not make her cry. Man, I'm a softie.

We all have a role to play; at home, at work, in society. There is no reason to blur the lines or consider it a bad thing to be what God intended you to be. A mother is a mother, and a father is a father. As Time Magazine figured out (the morons actually put it on the cover): There is a difference between men and women. Let's embrace it.

God bless you. Make it a great day.

- Adolfo

No comments:

Post a Comment