Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day # 223 - Surprise?

You ever try to plan a perfect evening - only to have something come up that made you change your plans? It happened to me yesterday. I didn't really plan an evening, that's not my thing, but I envisioned something that didn't work out the way I hoped. So, I made the best of it.

I had a very long day yesterday and didn't get home until about 8:00PM. I was hoping to come home to my lovely daughters running to meet me at the door yelling, "Daddy!" and my wife giving me a kiss and asking me about my day.

Because I was exhausted and dealing with several challenges, I pictured this as the reward, the light at the end of the tunnel. Until I got home... and there was no light... not a single, solitary light on in the house. They weren't home yet! I was suddenly more tired than before. The wind had gone out of my sails.

I sat down at my desk to get paperwork done and when they got home, I ran out to greet them, leaving the kids locked in the car while I kissed Abby hello. (They hate that - jealous little things they are.)

The rest of the evening was spent as a family, though it was soon time for the girls to go to bed.

It wasn't what I envisioned or planned, but it was all right with me. The important thing is to let the people you love know that you miss them when they are away and that the reunion means so much. It may seem like much if you're home every night, but think of how many people aren't. Think about troops, away in hostile places for months or longer, who don't get to enjoy the simple pleasure of being welcomed home every night. Time is a thief, and we must work against him to make all the memories we can because in the end, the memories will be all that matter. For you and for them.

God bless you. Make it a great day.

- Adolfo

No comments:

Post a Comment