Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Days 236 - 247 - Fortitudine Vincimus

Fortitudine Vincimus: By Endurance We Conquer.

My schedule and unforeseen circumstances have kept me from my commitment to this blog and I am sorry about it. I had a great run... and then I stopped. My family suffered a tragedy, but I dishonored the memory of the departed by not continuing to write. It's what they would have wanted.

The title of this post comes from Sir Ernest Shackleton, the British explorer who came to within 96 miles of being the first man to reach the South Pole. When the pole was reached by Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen, Shackleton decided he would make a trek across Antarctica. He named the ship which took him there "Endurance." The Shackleton family motto is Fortitudine Vincimus. The Shackleton party was stranded on the ice for two years before Shackleton and a skeleton crew made an 800 mile, open-boat journey to get help. Shackleton brought his men home alive. They endured, and they conquered.

While most of us will never be stranded in Antarctica, it is easy to feel as if we have no shot, as if the odds are insurmountable, we can think of people like Shackleton, who faced incredible odds and prevailed. Nothing is impossible unless we designate it as such.

Sure, there is sadness and pain in the world. We will all face our share of challenges. These things do not define us. Rather, we are defined by how these challenges affect us, and how we meet and overcome them.

Make it a great day. I'll be back in a couple of days.

God bless you and thanks for the prayers and well wishes.

- Adolfo

No comments:

Post a Comment