Saturday, January 1, 2011

Day # 218 - Peer Pressure

I bought the girls a bottle of sparkling white grape juice. It's made by Welch's and looks like wine both in the bottle and when you pour it. The girls have seen Abby and I drink wine and always ask about it. I poured the glasses without them knowing what it was and when they commented, I put the glasses in front of them and told them they could have their first sip of wine.

At first they didn't believe it, then they were nervously excited, then just plain scared. Melissa was sure the police would come and arrest her parents if she took a sip of the forbidden beverage. I kept telling her it's okay because she has her parents' permission, but she kept telling me it's wrong. Finally, she broke down crying because her parents were trying to get her to do something bad. This was not my intention. I thought they would jump at the opportunity to drink some hooch. My children chose to do the right thing even when the people they trust most tried to convince them to do otherwise.

I feel a certain comfort at this. I believe my kids will be well-prepared for the world out there. I have never told them that if they drink alcohol they'll go blind or die or any other nonsense. I have told them that they need to be 21, and that drinking as a child can harm their still-developing brains. Simple. No need to talk to them like they're idiots. Talking to kids like people is a great way to show them you respect them and how to respect themselves.

We won't always be there to help them make decisions, but preparing them to make the right decisions is the next best thing.

God bless you. Happy New Year.

-Adolfo

No comments:

Post a Comment