Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Day # 160 - Election Day

Before I get into this, I have to say last night was the first election day I have spent not glued to the TV (I have no cable anymore.) I was anxious. I did go out and vote and it was sort of sad to see that no one was there. I did not wait at all. I had a book with me and never so much as opened it. No lines, no waiting, no excuses. I turned on the radio for a minute and found out that Marco Rubio is the next senator from Florida. I voted for him. Kendrick Meek never appealed to me and Charlie Crist is a backstabbing wishy-washy hypocrite, who in one campaign cycle went from calling himself a Reagan Conservative to criticizing the right wing.

It’s incredible how pervasive the news media is. I know this without watching news.

I will eventually find out if the Republicans took the house or the senate and I will find out who our next Governor is. All without breaking my promise to avoid news for a year.
On the ballot, there are always questions as to the retention of judges. I had no information to go on so I said no to each and every one of them. In every case where I was unsure, I voted against the incumbent. In cases where I was sure, I voted the same way. Incumbency is a corrupting influence. No one should hold an elected office for more than eight years. If eight years is long enough for a president, it’s long enough for city and county commissioners and more than enough for members of congress.

I was surprised to be handed a paper ballot. Wasn’t it just a few years ago that Broward County spent $25 million on those touch-screen voting machines? Then the county spent a bunch more money on fixing them, and then more money on printers. All so we can go back to pen and paper. This is why I hate government. If we ran our businesses the way these corrupt politicians ran government, we would all be living in the streets.

There is no respect for the people any more. These fools get elected and believe they are now above us. They believe they rule over us, rather than serve under us. They forget who the boss is. If Jesus Christ came not to rule, but to serve, where do these half-wits get their delusions? The arrogance is breathtaking in breadth and depth.

I would have liked to have seen something on the ballot calling for removal of all the cameras the county and cities have put on practically every street corner. I am not a red-light runner or a speeder, so it has nothing to do with tickets. It has to do with the slippery slope. These things always grow. First it’s about traffic and then it’s about privacy. Where does it end? When does government stop getting deeper and deeper into our lives?

See, I still have an opinion, even if I have decided to insulate myself from the news. I hope you voted. If not, shame on you. You missed the opportunity to exercise a right that so many in the world would die for, and so many who came before us did die for.

- Adolfo

http://ayearwithoutnews.blogspot.com
http://www.cakewhimsybyabdaliz.com
http://www.honeybeepartyrental.com
http://www.facebook.com/adolfojimenez1
http://www.twitter.com/adolfojimenez

No comments:

Post a Comment