Sunday, November 21, 2010

Day # 178 - Friends

I woke up thinking about people I know - and people I've known. My daughters are 8 and 5 and already become a little anxious about their friends. I asked them yesterday if they would like to switch schools and Emily, the baby, said she wouldn't want to leave Mia, who is her BFF since 4K. I think that's precious and I love that my children are already aware of the importance of valuing friendship. I don't know where their friendship will lead. It would be wonderful for them to be one another's maid of honor some day (in the very distant future!)

I spoke to my old friend Kiki on Friday. We hadn't spoken in over a year, although his wife, Thania, and I regularly harrass one another on Facebook. It was as if no time had passed. While there was catching up to do, the dynamic of our friendship had not changed at all. We laughed about the same stupid things, told the same stupid jokes, and I silently marveled at the fact that we will both soon be forty. The other thing I realized is how much I miss him.

I have lots of friends. There are people I am close to and confide in. There are people I maintain contact with, and there are people I meet, enjoy my time with, and never or rarely see again. It's all good. This is part of a rich life, it's part of a complete life.

A friend is someone who matters in all the aspects of your life, who understands, or at least listens to you when you talk and makes you feel understood. We all can use some of this.

So, be a friend. Listen, be there. Share love and hope and your ears and your eyes. Share a laugh or a tear, or just a "remember the time when..."

Remember:

Think where man's glory most begins and ends and say my glory was I had such friends. - William Butler Yeats.

God bless you. Make it a great day.

- Adolfo

No comments:

Post a Comment