Saturday, November 13, 2010

Day # 170 - Traffic

There is an expression: "There are no traffic jams on the extra mile." It's true. Truer words may never have been spoken. It's when you are going above and beyond that you will encounter the least resistance. It's when your out early or out late, that that the noise has quieted down or gone away and you are free to do your best.

You can accomplish anything if you don't care who gets the credit or who sees you doing the work. If you are willing to work in solitude, in the shadows, far from the eyes of your peers and far from the chatter of the proverbial water cooler, there is no limit to what you can accomplish.

At least twice a month, I head into my office at about 7:00AM and I catch up on the work I don't like doing, but have to do. I get it out of the way before the phone starts ringing and people start popping into my office, and I clear the junk off my desk, answer emails, file, and all the other stuff that takes time I don't have. After one of these sessions, I feel completely revived and energized because the nonsense is out of the way. Now, I can focus on clients and the parts of my job I enjoy.

Make a little time every day for yourself. Not "Calgon, take me away" bubble bath time, but time to do a little extra, time to travel the extra mile. You'll be glad you did.

- Adolfo

No comments:

Post a Comment