Monday, November 29, 2010

Day # 186 - Up in Lights

I finally got the Christmas lights up yesterday. I think my little house looks beautiful. I even got my little Snoopy countdown till Christmas up on the roof, complete with Woodstock. All I can think about at this point is how to improve it for next year. I'm going to need more lights. Lots more lights.

Now that it's done, and the tree and lights are up and all that remains is to wait for Santa, I have time to reflect. Am I engaging in the consumerism that I sought to avoid by not participating in Black Friday? Is this display, and my desire to expand it in 2011, gaudy? Or am I just showing the Christmas spirit I feel within me? Who knows? All I can say for sure is that I don't enjoy climbing up on that very high, steep roof, and I do it anyway. Part of it has to be when my daughters went outside and gasped and told me how beautiful their house looked. Maybe it's that even though they saw me working and climbing and Chevy-Chasing all over the house, they were still surprised and pleased with the finished product. Maybe it's because I get to be a hero to my little girls and for one moment I can feel like I am nearly good enough to be their Daddy. Then Emily said, "Let's go inside, I want ice cream," and I was promptly returned to earth.

The house can't be seen from space, and it won't win any awards, but I'm happy with it, and my family is happy. For the next month, it will be Christmas at the Jimenez Hacienda, and we will enjoy every minute of it. I can't say the same for the time I will spend at the malls.

Find a little light in your life and share it with your community and with the world. The best way to make the world a better place is to start with your own little piece of it. Be a light for the people you care most about and they will pass that along, creating a better world, and your legacy.

God Bless You. Season's Greetings. Make it your best day yet.

- Adolfo

No comments:

Post a Comment