Friday, November 26, 2010

Day # 183 - The Hangover

What is it about Thanksgiving that makes pigs of us? Could it be that when it comes to turkey, there's no middle ground? You either make enough for a family of four, or enough for the U.S. Army. There seems to be no middle ground. I am much the same way. Yes, I am a turkey of sorts. I overdid it. Not with alcohol or anything, but with food, glorious food. I was like a goldfish: whatever was in my tank was eaten,

My daughter Melissa gave the blessing and it moved me to tears. She is eight years old and becoming an amazing young lady. One more reason to be thankful.

It's hard not to think of those who couldn't be there, because of distance, prior commitment, or whatever other reason. Why is it human nature that even when you're with people you love, you still want more people you love around you?

My sons are not around as much anymore. AJ was there with his lovely girlfriend, Ella, but Steven was not there and I missed him. If Steven had been there, we'd have no leftovers. That boy can eat!

So we came home, put the girls to bed, and I rubbed Abby's feet. She'd cooked up a storm and maintained her perfect record of creating the greatest of Thanksgiving dinners.

Leaving my in-laws' house, the main street a couple of blocks away was closed off. It was a major car accident. It makes me think about people drinking and driving and May 31, 2004, when a driver high on heroin nearly took what was most precious to me and I wonder what people are thinking. We talk about AIDS awareness and Cancer awareness and all kinds of awareness. You may not be able to control cancer, but you can control your level of self-awareness. Don't drive drunk. Don't let your friends or family do it. If you do and someone gets hurt or killed, you are responsible. It's that simple. You may not be punished by man, but you will be punished. Only an animal with complete disregard for his community would do such a thing. Don't be an animal.

So, I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving, and a safe one. I hope you counted your blessings. I hope you're not out shopping at this hour in the morning, but if you are, get me something nice!

God bless you. Make it your best day yet.

- Adolfo

No comments:

Post a Comment