Sunday, November 28, 2010

Day # 185 - O Christmas Tree

The tradition lives on. Every year since moving into our home, we have bought our Christmas Tree on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Lots of people do, I'm sure. I come from a family that didn't really have a lot of tradition so I feel it's important to establish traditions of my own.

Last year, I had just lost my job a few days before Thanksgiving and was understandably depressed. I still put up a tree. I skipped the decorations on the outside of the house, though, and I realize now what a mistake that was. My children love the lights and the inflatable Santa Claus up on the chimney and I cheated them of it because I was down in the dumps.

I look back now and can see that losing my job was the best thing for me. I needed to be shaken up, kicked out of my comfort zone, and I know that can never happen with a cushy job that doesn't challenge your intellect or your skill. But I digress...

Trimming the tree while listening to Christmas music and that great feeling of seeing little ornaments I hadn't seen since last year; lifting the girls to top the tree (we have a snowman instead of a star this year) all filled me with happiness as I looked into the future and saw them doing the same in their own homes with their own children. It helped me understand that tradition has more to do with the future than with the past.

Enjoy your traditions and share them. If you don't have any, create them, and don't fail to see the difference between tradition and ritual.

Make it your best day yet. God bless you.

- Adolfo

No comments:

Post a Comment