Friday, November 19, 2010

Day # 176 - Bridges

We've all walked away from someone or something. It may have been a job, an organization, a relationship, a neighborhood. When leaving a situation for a better opportunity, it's tempting at times to think you'll never have to look back and to therefore leave in a bad, or inconsiderate, manner.

I have witnessed this several times in the last few months, where people, when deciding to quit their jobs, have gone off on management, sending out lengthy, insulting emails, and copying - wait for it - the entire company. It's done in the hopes of taking a parting shot at their now-former bosses, but these people are hurting no one but themselves. We've all been disappointed with a job, we've all been treated unfairly, and we've all wanted to tell someone off.

What I've learned, thankfully, by observation and experience, is that the world is small and the circles of your chosen industry are even smaller. You never know who your next boss will be.

I was once part of a team that followed a director of marketing from one hotel to another. Just about every manager and every quality employee left the hotel en masse. The general manager we were abandoning asked me where I was going and I explained that this seemed like the right opportunity for me. We parted on good terms. A few years later, this man became my general manager again. I was terrified. But the fact that I had been respectful and had given my notice, and done things in a professional manner, left me with nothing to worry about. There were no hard feelings and we worked together fine.

People will come in and out of your life. That's normal. What you want to be sure of, though, is that you leave them all with the right impression, that you never have to worry what you've made someone think of you. I am not suggesting you spend your life worrying what people think of you because this will never lead to success. I am suggesting you behave in a manner which will ensure that you never have to worry what people think of you.

God bless you. Make it your best day yet.

- Adolfo

No comments:

Post a Comment