Thursday, September 30, 2010

# 126 - Programming Happiness

What time do you wake up in the morning? Do you sleep until the last possible moment before getting up rushing through a shower, getting dressed, getting the kids ready, and all the rest? Or do you wake up early enough to have time to really prepare yourself for a successful day?

Some people call me a freak because I am usually awake before 5:00AM and I do it without an alarm clock. On Saturday and Sunday, I sleep in, waking up around 6:00 or 6:30. Don't get me wrong, I have overslept on occasion but I can oversleep and still wake up before most people.

Why have we placed such a high premium on sleep? Is it tiredness or is it laziness. We're told to get 8 hours a night. I haven't had 8 hours since I was in grade school and I am not suffering for it. It's how my body is wired and I'm okay with it. Rising early provides "Me" time and productivity time.

My routine goes like this: I wake up on my own and I can usually tell, to within ten minutes, what time it is. Today is one of those days where it was earlier than I thought. I only know this because the computer tells me so.

I lay in bed for about 15-30 minutes. I have always let me thoughts wander during this time, but I have come to the realization that this is destructive so I now guide my thoughts. I guide them toward thoughts of happiness, fulfillment, success, and love. When my mind wanders in a direction I'd rather not go, I reel it back in, and begin the process again. I imagine my day going smoothly. I see myself having a successful day at work. I think about this blog.

This blog had become a source of stress for me. The thought of writing day after day had become a challenge. I changed my approach. I know I am going to write, I know the words will flow, and all I need to think about at that point is what thoughts I will be sharing with you.

Waking up and giving myself this time also relieves the stress of hurrying and gives me time to start missing my children. I think about waking them up and laying out their uniforms. I think about them brushing their teeth and putting on their uniforms. I get to appreciate them for the miracles they are. Why do I want to miss them? It helps me appreciate them.

I think about my sons, who live on their own, and I wonder how their morning will go. I send them love and blessings and positive thoughts. I let them know I am with them. I ask God to send angels to look after them. I declare their happiness and success.

I declare my own success. I declare blessings over my life and my family and friends. I pray for the president and the troops and the children of the world. I pray for peace and joy. I decide it will be a good day.

Then, I get out of bed. Look out world!

Make it your best day. God bless you.

- Adolfo

http://ayearwithoutnews.blogspot.com
http://www.honeybeepartyrental.com
http://www.facebook.com/adolfojimenez1
http://www.twitter.com/adolfojimenez

No comments:

Post a Comment