Friday, September 3, 2010

Day # 99 - Bottles of beer on the wall

I worked late last night. Got home around 11:00. What was I doing? Hanging around at a bar (a very nice one)with a bunch of Dallas Cowboy fans. It could be worse. It could be Jets fans, in which case I would be writing a "Goodbye, Cruel World" letter. I started off courting these folks, wanting them to patronize my bar. You see, there are fan clubs all over the country and they organize game-watching parties. They fill up your bar with rowdy fans and generally eat, drink and are merry. And noisy. And loud. And obnoxious when they are spanking your team. But there is an obvious business benefit to their patronage.

Growing up, I never liked the Dallas Cowboys. After getting to know these fans over the last few weeks, I am neutral toward the team. I like the fans.

What I witnessed was a group of people gathered to enjoy a sporting event - and one another's company. I saw people who watch football - and ask about one another's family. If anyone there had a sick relative, everyone else knew about it, and that loved one would have been included in their prayers. Oh, and they drink beer, too!

I have met thousands of people over the years and there are many I call friends. There are few I get together with just because someone's broadcasting a football game. Check that, there are none. I have been a member and a leader of organizations dedicated to business, to community, to children, but never one dedicated to just having a good time. If you've never been a part of one, I recommend it.

We all need friends and we all need entertainment. This is a way to get both. I will not advocate for any specific organization on this blog because that's not what this is about, but I will repeat that we all need friends and human beings are social animals so get out there and be social!

Thanks again to my new friends from the (hurts like hell to say it) Cowboy Nation, and thanks to your for reading.

God bless you. Make it your best day yet.

- Adolfo

Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook
Follow A Year Without News

No comments:

Post a Comment