Sunday, September 26, 2010

Day # 122 - The Fight in the Dog

I haven't had a day off since Labor day (is that ironic? I can't decide) so I am getting a little tired. I worked the bar last night and had a little run in with a very scary individual. He was intimidating another patron. I asked him to take a seat and cool it and he mouthed off at me, seeing me as sort of a wimpy little restaurant manager type. I told him that if he didn't cool it not only would I have him removed, I would do it personally, physically. I stood real close and spoke softly, but firmly. No fear. He sat down and shut up.

I could tell he was a bully, maybe he really was a tough guy. He probably could have snapped me in two. But there was no way I would have backed down. Why? Not because I'm tough or spoiling for a fight, but because I was right. I also know that if I backed down once, it would have been the story for the rest of my life in that place. As Darren Hardy says, you make your choices and your choices make you.

He later came over to me, apologized, and told me I "castrated" him. I apologized for being harsh, explaining that it's my job to keep everyone in the place happy and safe. Sounds like a combination of clown and mall cop, doesn't it?

The point is that if you are willing to fight, you typically won't need to fight. If you are willing to do whatever is necessary to achieve a goal, you won't have to do it all; life will step in and help you. Your confidence will carry you a long way - and save your neck. I am not talking about bar fights, I am talking about life. Be prepared, be confident, and be willing to do whatever you have to do. I was willing to grab that man by the neck if necessary. He saw that in my eyes and as a result we ended the evening with handshakes instead of handcuffs.

As Mark Twain once said, "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

He was referring to attitude and will. We can all use more of those.

Make it your best day yet. God bless you. And as Billy Joel once said, "Don't take no s**t from nobody!"

-Adolfo

http://ayearwithoutnews.blogspot.com
http://www.honeybeepartyrental.com
http://www.facebook.com/adolfojimenez1
http://www.twitter.com/adolfojimenez

No comments:

Post a Comment