Saturday, September 11, 2010

Day # 107 - Change of Venue

Lead us not into temptation... We've all heard it before. I went into the office yesterday and just wasn't feeling it. So... I went home to work. I didn't come home and put on my Superman jammies and bunny slippers, I kept my work ensemble on. I fired up the laptop and went to work.

I was more productive yesterday than any other day in this incredibly long short week. I wasn't getting up to go to the fridge every five minutes. No one walked into my office to chat. No questions that should answer themselves. No B.S., no nonsense. Just work.

I made two sales, set two appointments and sent out three contracts yesterday. I also revised an agreement for what is becoming a very big and important client. In my business, that's a busy day. Better than busy, it was productive. The kind of productivity that translates directly to the bottom line.

I know not everyone has the option of taking work home, or to a coffee shop, but you can always come to the office a little early to avoid the crowd. When people ask if you have a minute, say NO! Or tell them yes, you have exactly one minute. For years I have wasted so much time because I never understood the power of No. Learn it, you'll be better at your job, and you will find the work-life balance we all need.

I would also recommend putting yourself in a position where you are not lead into temptation. Don't keep a lot of junk food in your house or in your desk, so that the Oreos don't call your name when you have work to do. It's human nature to be lazy and if your lazy brain has to convince you you're hungry to get you to stop working, it will. Avoid the pitfalls.

I am not advocating workaholism. I am advocating productivity. If you want to move up in your career, grow your business, or just prosper and be successful at everything you do, learn to be more productive. I learned this lesson late, but I plan to make up for it.

So, turn your desk away from the window, stay away from the water cooler and coffee station and get your work done! The right people will notice.

God bless you. Make it your best and most productive day yet.

- Adolfo

http://www.facebook.com/adolfojimenez1
http://ayearwithoutnews.blogspot.com
http://www.twitter.com/adolfojimenez

No comments:

Post a Comment