Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Day # 118 - Be Persistent

I took a spin class last night. Lots of fun. I recommend it. My high threshold for pain gives me a bit of an advantage - it makes me seem like I'm in better shape than I really am. That's not necessarily a good thing. I refuse to stop during the class regardless of how much I want to. I drink enough water to keep going, I don't indulge. I am persistent about it.

Anyone will tell you that persistence is key to success. The author, Stephen King, credited much of his success to persistence. What makes one athlete better than the other? Persistence. Don't believe me? Ask Michael Phelps. His routine was extremely consistent and his persistence in training led to his eight Olympic Gold Medals.

Years ago, when I quit the hospitality industry and became a financial advisor, I was given 90 days to earn my Series 7, Series 66, and insurance license. If I earned the licenses within that time frame, I would receive a bonus. Of course, I had, at the time, three kids and one on the way, so I couldn't just sit around my house studying.

What I did was I read the books out loud, recording every word in my own voice, and for the next 10 weeks, listened to nothing else. I took a job as a banquet waiter and worked long, hard hours, spending every free moment listening to those tapes or reading the books. I would go to the library between shifts (I often worked more than one in a day, with a few hours in between.) I even had a security guard at the library in Miami Beach confuse me for a homeless person because I fell asleep in the library. I explained to him that I was exhausted and studying, not drunk and loitering.

When the time came for the test, I caught food poisoning. I tried to reschedule but it was too late. I passed, though only by about six points. But you know what you call the guy who graduated last in his class from medical school? You call him Doctor!

I had no experience in finance at the time, I had worked in hotels all my career. But I decided I wanted something and persisted until I got it.

Decide today that you will be persistent in the pursuit of your goals. It is one of the most important characteristics of a successful person. I am reigniting mine.

- Adolfo

http://ayearwithoutnews.blogspot.com
http://www.honeybeepartyrental.com
http://www.twitter.com/adolfojimenez
http://www.facebook.com/adolfojimenez1

No comments:

Post a Comment