Thursday, September 2, 2010

Day # 98 - Happy Birthday Steven

My son Steven is 20 years old today. He is now older than I was on the day he was born. I think of him all the time, as I do with all my kids. But he was the first. There is something special that comes with that and sometimes I think he may have been robbed of that. It's not that he was undeserving, it's that I was too young.

Kids are in such a hurry to grow up. (I know I just made the quantum leap into my golden years by writing those words down, but it's true.) I was in a hurry to grow up and as a result, I was forced into it long before I was ready for it. The result is that my son didn't have as much a father as a big brother.

Do I feel a little guilty? Yes. But I don't live in the past. I see my boy now, making strides, getting his life in order and moving forward and it reminds me of myself. I was so busy growing up that I never bothered to mature. It's taken my 39 years to reach adolescence. It's great to be here, by the way.

If you have kids, remind them to be kids. Help them understand that their life will never be as perfect as it is during their youth. Growing up sucks. I recommend avoiding it for as long as possible. Live at home until you're 70 and throw your parents out of the house.

Seriously, one of the most important jobs we have as parents is to make sure our kids live one day at a time, while always keeping an eye toward the future. Education, good money habits, staying healthy, and worldliness are all important, but giving up your youth to be a mediocre parent is a great way to ruin three lives.

So, happy birthday, Steven. I love you and wish I could have been the father you deserved. I'll try to be from now on.

- Adolfo

Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook
Follow A Year Without News

No comments:

Post a Comment