Friday, July 2, 2010

Day # 36 - A day of rest

Too tired to be inspired. Well, not exactly, but I am tired. Yesterday was a long day that started around 4:00 AM and I didn't get home last night until after 9:00 PM. There was more than the usual amount of stress, some of it involving family. Everything will work out fine, but it's tough in the moment.

So many things happened and the ironic result is that I am left with nothing to write about. But it got me to thinking. (Terrifying, I know.) After 35 straight days of this, I am tired. Just like exercise. If you don't rest between workouts, your body can't recover. Since this is an exercise regimen for the mind, perhaps my mind is a little tired.

I need a break.

I intend to continue this journey and I will continue writing about it, but for today, I am going to go easy. No profound discoveries, no philosophy. Just one word of advice: Rest.

For years I have lived with insomnia. It's gotten better lately and I believe that quitting caffeine and eating better is part of the reason for this improvement. I accepted the condition, never seeing a doctor, always making the most of the extra time it gave me. I still don't plan on doing anything, my self-medication (hooray chamomile - boo caffeine) is working just fine.

But listen to your body and your mind. When you need a break take it. Sometimes you have to push a little farther, but sometimes you have to just let go.

Lessons:

- Rest. Even God took a break on the 7th day.
- Your inbox is supposed to be full. Go home. The work will be there tomorrow.
- You can't be productive if you're exhausted.

Today's Declarations:

- Day by day in every way I am getting better and better
- I understand the importance of resting my mind and body and I will give both the rest they need
- I will do my best and I accept that I can't do everything. This is why God invented tomorrow

Remember, I am not saying you should quit your job and go surfing. You also shouldn't ignore deadlines. You should, however, find balance and take a nap.

Make it your best day ever. God bless you.


Start building your Success Library!
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment