Friday, July 30, 2010

Day # 64 - How to lose everything you really want

There's an old expression: If you always do what you always did, you'll always have what you always had.

I am involved in several organizations and businesses. In more than one case, I have walked in blind and taught myself. I am a fairly intelligent person and I catch on quick. The advantage to being inexperienced is that there is less to un-learn. Your experience in other areas can be translated to your current project. Whether it works or not, everyone learns something and everyone is better for the experience.

When I became Chairman of the chamber of commerce, my experience in such things was limited. After two years on the job, there was no one, save for my enemies, who would have said I did anything other than an outstanding job. Yes, I had enemies. Impossible to believe, isn't it?

How did I succeed? Am I a genius? No. Did I read a manual? No. There is no "Successfully Running a Chamber for Dummies." But if there were, I still would not have read it. Now that I look back at the experience, I could write that book.

Of course, all this works in reverse. If you are inflexible, if you are so set in your ways that you are unwilling to try new things, you will fail. You will fail a lot. Listen to your colleagues, let their experience become your experience. When you disagree, do not resort to insulting their talents or abilities. Know what you don't know. Know your limits. When you know your limits, you can get past them. Until then, get comfortable because you ain't going nowhere.

Today's Lessons:

- None of us is as smart as all of us.
- You don't know if you don't try.
- To have something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

Today's Declarations:

- Day by day in every way I am getting better and better.
- I am open to new ideas.
- I know my limitations because knowing them is the only way of overcoming them.

Stay stuck in your ways if you want. It's the best way to lose everything you want. Get out of the box, get out of the past, and stretch yourself. It's the only way.

Make it your best day yet. God bless you.

- Adolfo

Start building your Success Library!
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook
Follow A Year Without News

No comments:

Post a Comment