Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Day # 49 - Forgiveness

There's nothing like meeting someone who has really faced adversity, I mean real adversity, not the insignificant crap we all whine about, to help you put things in perspective. Today, I found myself in a unique position. I attended a luncheon where the guest speaker was a young man named Patrick Knight. Patrick is an attorney, a former president of the Coconut Grove Jaycees, and an all-around nice guy. He was also the victim of a terrible crime last Thanksgiving - one you undoubtedly heard about.

When I found out he would be our speaker,I wasn't sure I could handle it. I am a sentimental and emotional individual and his story is an emotional one. (I will not go into details here.)

I ran into someone at the breakfast whom I hadn't spoken to in a while. Since he fired me, as a matter of fact. The circumstances of my dismissal are irrelevant, but I can say I felt betrayed, hurt, and angry. I said hi to my former boss and we chatted. As it turned out, I sat next to him during the lunch. I had decided a while back that I had forgiven him but I didn't know how I would react when I saw him. I felt no anger, no resentment. When I told him how things are going I told him they were great and I meant it. He told me things weren't the same without me at the office. I smiled. He told me he hadn't been able to replace me. I reminded him that he never would. I am irreplaceable. Someone else could do my own job (not nearly as well as I did it) and they can sit at my old desk (not looking quite as good as I did) but there can never be another me.

I guess God afforded me a unique opportunity to confront what used to be a painful part of my past and compare it to a real challenge. I know now I never had anything to complain about. My life was never bad. I just hit a speed bump.

Today's Lessons:

- Living well is the best revenge.
- When you don't forgive someone who has hurt you, you only hurt yourself. They can't feel your anger, it doesn't hold them back. It only hurts you. Let it go.
- Friends are hard to find, but enemies are hard to lose. Make the better choice and be a friend to everyone.

Today's Declarations:

- Day by day in every way I am getting better and better.
- I will embrace my enemies (perceived or otherwise.)
- I will love everyone.

Today I regained a friend. We're not moving in together or anything, but it was nice to bury the past and leave it where it belongs.

Make it your best day yet. God bless you.

Start building your Success Library!
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook
http://ayearwithoutnews.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment