Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day # 37 - Don't go there. Or, lead thyself not into temptation

I had a classmate in college I became pretty close with. We were both in our mid-twenties (we were both dads and had started college late) and both dads. He was an alcoholic. He had stopped drinking some time before but once spoke to me about the temptation he felt every day. He explained that if your problem is something illegal like cocaine, it's easier to stay away from it but alcohol is everywhere. Watch a sporting event on TV and the ads are mostly about some kind of beer or other. People get together after work to have a few beers. You stop at a gas station to fill up and the places is covered in neon signs for Budweiser, Corona, Miller Lite, etc.

It's tough to be addicted - especially to something that is everywhere you look. I can't imagine what that must be like. I am not prone to addiction, my destructive behavior has always been less ritualistic. I don't get drunk, but I have overeaten on many occasions. I tended to lose my temper and destroy (figuratively) anything in my surrounding area. It's been a long time getting it somewhat under control and I am getting better every day. Because my problems are internal, they are everywhere I go. If you have young kids, it would be wise to instill self-discipline in them.

My daughters have a tendency to pop a movie in the TV and then go do other things, leaving the TV and lights on when they are elsewhere. I now charge them a dollar each every time it happens. (Don't tell them, but I put the dollars back in their piggy bank when they aren't looking.) The reason I do it is to teach them to value things. They don't want to lose their dollars. Discipline is how they keep their money.

If you've broken your arm in three places, it's best to stay away from those three places. If alcohol is your weakness, stay out of bars. Overeaters should stay away from the local buffet. If you're a couch potato, get out of the house. During the time of my information addiction, I noticed that if I stopped by my house even for a minute, I would turn on the TV and watch news, get ticked off, take longer than was prudent, and try to continue my day. The solution was simple, stop going home, but it was not easy until I decided and admitted I had a problem I had to fix.

Talk about destructive behavior; I was taking the poison from without and destroying myself from within. Changing habits is hard, but if you think of your bad habits as destructive behavior, you will find new motivation. The first step is admitting you have a problem. If you can't do that, you will never get better. Wanting it is not enough, knowing there's something wrong it not enough. You have to admit there is a problem and commit to moving in the right direction.

Lessons:

- You know what's holding you back. Admit it and decide on fixing it so you can move on and move up.
- If you have an addiction - a real addiction like drugs or alcohol or a sex addiction, get help. You are destroying yourself and all that God has blessed you with.
- Lead yourself not into temptation. Stay away from places that allow or encourage destructive behavior. Stay away from people who engage in this behavior.

Today's Declarations:

- Day by day in every way I am getting better and better
- Today I will begin breaking my addictions
- Today I will make the small changes that will lead to big improvements
- I admit that I am not perfect. I admit that I need to change. I admit I need help doing it. I will be better. I am confessing it with my mouth and believing it in my heart.

It is important to deal with these issues. We don't all have addictions, but most of us have bad habits. Tackle the small, easy ones first. Once you make one small, positive change, the snowball will begin to roll and soon there will be no stopping it. You will be on your way to being the person you were meant to be.

Make it your best day ever. God bless you.

- Adolfo

Start building your Success Library!
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment