Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Day # 41 - 324 days to go. Is it worth it?

The answer is YES. A million times yes. Last night, Abby and I sat in the office and we talked about the 40 day milestone. I asked her if she thought I was different and she told me that I am. She told me that I have not only changed, I have improved. I am calmer, more patient, better.

I never intended for this to be a self help column. I never really thought it would help other people, but some people tell me that reading my words has helped them. I am humbled and honored.

If you have issues (who doesn't?) that you want to deal with but you don't know where to start, the answer is to just do it. Take a moment and sit in silence. Review your day, your week, your year, and even your life. Look at where you have come up short and try to find the common denominator. It's not hard to do if you really want it. Is your life all it could be? Are you reaching your potential? If not, what's keeping you down?

For me, it was my inability to focus on positive things. I was a news junkie. News is a way of taking knowledge of all that is bad, depressing, and negative in the world and injecting it into your very soul. How can you be up when you O.D. on downers every morning?

So, I gave it up. I quit cold turkey. This has led to me also giving up caffeine and most (not all) junk food. It's what Darren Hardy calls "The Compound Effect." Little things mean everything and they add up to big improvements in your life. If you think the little things don't matter, think about the last time you were on a plane. If you could remove your entire seat (leaving you sitting on the floor) or a couple of the screws that hold the wing to the fuselage, which would you remove? The point is, you would be uncomfortable, but you would arrive safely. Of course if you prefer to be comfortable when you crash, be my guest. I want to touch down in a better place, even if it means a sore tush.

Lessons:

- Get out of your comfort zone. No one grows without pain.
- It's not easy. If it were, you would have done it years ago.
- Baby steps. This will not happen in a day. You must have patience. With patience, grass becomes milk.

Today's Declarations:

- Day by day in every way I am getting better and better
- I will take the first step toward improving myself today.
- I know I can be the person I was meant to be. Today I start proving it.

Take the first step. Sit in the silence, away from noise, TV, the computer, the phone. Listen to your mind and nothing else. Look for the thread. What's holding you back. You may not find it on the first try. It may take days, but you will be planting the seeds of commitment when you sit and listen to your thoughts. And that will be the first step on your journey.

Make it your best day ever. God bless you.

- Adolfo

Start building your Success Library!
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment