Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day # 52 - Testing the theory

I went to bed Friday night a little on the early side. No, my life is not "exciting." It is, however, complete and satisfying. So there! I woke up Saturday morning around three AM. I read a little, wrote my blog, and went back to bed around five.

0700 - A knock at the door. I notice it on a subconscious level because I am asleep. I am on my way to consciousness when I hear my daughter begin to scream, "Oh my God!" It's obvious she's freaking out. She's crying now. The time is 0701.

I run to the front door, along the way, I notice Baxter, my dog, is more freaked out than usual I look out the front window and I see a neighbor there with his two boxers. This explains Baxter's behavior, but I don't know why this man is knocking on my door at 7 AM. He's never knocked before... then I notice something in the road and it all catches up with me and makes sense.

I go outside and walk with my neighbor to the street where a small dog is laying on her side. If not for the blood, she would appear to be sleeping. She is wearing a collar and I recognize her at once. Her name was Ruby. I walk to her owner's house and knock. By this time, the other neighbor, the one who discovered the dog, is ready to move on. I know this so I tell him I'll handle it from here. He gladly obliges, leaving me to deliver the bad news. I knock again and no one answers. I walk back to my house to gather my thoughts. My little girl is hysterical. I take her away from the window. I comfort her as best I can and tell her not to look outside. I take off the collar. I cover the carcass with a towel, hoping the contrast of white on asphalt will prevent further damage. I look on the tag for the address to make sure I had the right address. I did. This sucks. I notice my hands have her blood on them now. I walk back to the neighbor's house.

I knock again. No answer. Again. No answer. There are two numbers on her tag. I call the first one. No answer. I dial the second one. No answer. I decide to leave a message, knowing I have no idea what to say. Here goes:

"Hi, my name is Adolfo Jimenez. I'm standing in front of your house. I live a few doors down... I found your dog... She was hit by a car... in front of my driveway..."

Now I feel like I just confessed to a crime I did not commit. Think fast, Jimenez.

"One of our neighbors discovered her and knocked on my door because he thought she was my dog..." I think I'll bring her to your house for you."

Good job, Einstein. What did you say that for? On second thought. I can't keep the animal. I put the carcass, towel and all, in a garbage bag. She's lighter than I expect. She also looks surprisingly intact. Aside from the thick stream of congealed blood that has left her mouth, she looks like she's sleeping. I'm about to take off the rubber gloves when I notice you can see the blood through the bag. I seal the bag up as best I can, tie it tight, and place it in another bag. I then had to wash the blood off the street. I felt for my kids it was essential to eliminate any trace of what had happened. I then took the bag to the neighbor's house, knocked one more time, then decided to leave it there with the collar on top. Thank God that's over. I throw out the gloves. Wash my hands, and begin the rest of the day, which is scheduled to be a good day.

My son, AJ, is scheduled to get his head shots done at 11:00 AM by my friend Jonas Sears. AJ is an actor and has been cast in his first feature film. Ain't life grand? Only the car won't start. Battery? Sounds like it. I call Jonas. He goes out of his way to come over and give us a jump. We're an hour behind schedule now and he is all smiles. We get to the hotel, where the ballroom will double as a studio, and they get to work while I go to the office to catch up on e-mails and calls.

My phone rings.

"Did you find my dog?"

I hear Yogi Berra: "It ain't over till it's over." I get to relive it. I explain the situation to the lady on the phone, who is crying. I then tell her about the indignity I committed when I left her doggie on her doorstep wrapped in a towel and two garbage bags. She thanks me and we end the call. AJ, Jonas, and I end the day at the restaurant. AJ has a couple of Sprites. Jonas and I have a beer. It was a great day. Yes, it really was.

I was tested. The sleeplessness. My crying little girl and the knock on the door and the freaked out dog waking me up. Having to handle the little doggy. Having to comfort my baby. Washing blood from the street. Delivering bad news. The car not starting. Running late.

It was a good day not because these things happened. It was a good day because I chose to make it a good day. I chose not to get upset about having to play animal control officer or about knowing I will soon have to spend money on a new car battery. I chose to be grateful for all the wonderful things I have. I chose to be grateful for the blessings instead of upset by the inconveniences.

Today's Lessons:

- Regardless of how your day begins, your attitude will determine how it ends, which is all that matters.
- Sometimes you will be put into positions that will make you want to lose your cool, or your hope, or your focus. Don't let it happen. Rise above, pass the test, and be your very best.
- It's when we have to deliver bad news or witness the pain of others that we discover our humanity.

Today's Declarations:

- Day by day in every way I am getting better and better.
- I will always have a positive attitude.
- I will not let inconveniences rob me of my joy.
- I will always do my best to comfort those who need to be comforted.

Be the rock you know you can be. Be the person people turn to. Be a person of character and integrity. Even if you haven't always been. Today can be the day when you turn it all around.

Make it your best day yet. God bless you.

- Adolfo


Start building your Success Library!
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook
Follow A Year Without News

No comments:

Post a Comment