Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day # 55 - Contagion II

I am out of shape. Have been for a long time. It's not that I'm a slob. I'm not one of those people who can't walk up a flight of steps or throw a Frisbee without dropping to the ground; I'm just heavier than I should be. It's contagious, too. Of the six of us, (my wife, four kids, me) three of us are overweight. I have been preaching to my wife about this for the longest time and I have been an Oprah about it for years. (By Oprah, I mean I would gain and lose and regain weight constantly.) I always felt I needed Abby's support. I didn't want there to be soda or cookies in the house, but they would always find their way here.

*Funny thing about me. I will not go to the grocery store to buy these things, but if they are in my house, I devour them without mercy. I can tear through an entire box of cookies - or at least I used to. I have learned will power over the last 55 days and I get stronger every day.

So what began with me giving up caffeine led to me committing to losing 30 pounds by the end of my 365 days. I also decided to take the bull by the horns where my daughter is concerned, offering her incentives to drink less soda and drink more water. I also promised my wife that if certain items appeared in the house, specifically soft drinks, I would pour them down the sink. I proved my seriousness.

I didn't try to influence her, I just told her that I was determined and expected her support. A funny thing happened on the way to my goal. She started noticing the changes in me and teamed up with a co-worker who is very health conscious and now she's lecturing me the way I have lectured her for ten years.

Seeing how committed I was started something in her. Her co-worker was the catalyst. Now we are working on the same goal together. We went for a walk last night. Not a stroll, but a brisk walk. I was thrilled at her determination and I know this is the beginning of a lasting improvement to our lives.

For years, I didn't do what I knew I had to do because I wanted Abby to come with me. When I began this project, I decided to take this additional step on my own. I wasn't thinking about whether she would follow me or not. I just knew I had to do what I had to do. So I did it. And my actions were more effective than all the begging, pleading, reasoning and goading of the last decade.

Of course, we all know that leadership is something done by example. I want to make the best things happen for my family. This is the first step of many.

Today's Lessons:

- Don't talk about what you want others to do, show them what you want done.
- Leadership is more about action than words.
- "Do as I say, not as I do," is hypocrisy at its worst.
- When trying to convince someone of the benefits of a specific course of action, take the course yourself and let them follow at their own pace.

Today's Declarations:

- Day by day in every way I am getting better and better
- I will always work at improving myself, knowing I am bringing the people I love along for the ride
- I am a leader of my business, my community and of my family.

I feel great this morning. Tonight will be another power walk or YMCA or the park. I think we finally got on the mountain. Now we have to climb it. Keep us in your prayers, you are in mine.

Make it your best day yet. God bless you.

-Adolfo

Start building your Success Library!
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook
Follow A Year Without News

No comments:

Post a Comment