Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Day # 48 - Reminders

When the road is long, it's easy to zone out, to forget, even if for the briefest moment, where you are going. After 48 days, this has happened to me on several (brief) occasions. I work in a place where there are literally dozens of televisions. Everywhere you look, a hi-def screen. They are, more often than not, tuned to sporting events, but every now and then one is placed to the news. So I know the oil spill is still happening. I am not an environmentalist, but I am seriously annoyed that this is still going on.

Where's the government?

Exactly. Government fails at what it's really supposed to do. These people can't stop an oil leak or balance a budget, but we put them in charge of our health care? Something does not compute. But anyway...

I heard about George Steinbrenner, owner of the Yankees, passing away of a massive heart attack. All I could think about was how he was portrayed on Seinfeld and that he fired Yogi Berra. Not that that's all there is to his life, it's just all I really know. I'll have to look him up.

So two bits of news got past the filter yesterday: One bit about an environmental disaster, the worst in history, I guess. And the other about a man dying. Did nothing good happen in the world yesterday? No "Man Bites Dog" stories to share?

It makes no sense to continue ingesting that trash. I wonder what it will be like when this year is over. I wonder if I will have any desire to watch any news at all. Probably not. Maybe a few minutes a few times a week. That'll do. Maybe nothing. Maybe this is the new me. If so, I like it. I plan to stick to it.

Moments like these serve to remind me of why I am doing what I am doing. It's good to remember what I am avoiding and why I am avoiding it. It's good to look at what I was and compare it to what I am while thinking of what I will be. It's good to be reminded of what I am trying to accomplish and why I want to accomplish it.

Lessons:

- Remind yourself of where you are going and of why you are going there.
- When you start improving yourself, it will take on a life of its own. Go with it.
- Don't live in the past, don't run from the past; do learn from the past.

Today's Declarations:

- Day by day in every way I am getting better and better.
- I am leaving the past behind. I am preparing for the future by focusing on the present.
- I will continue to reject negativity in all its forms.

Remember, positivity, like happiness, is a choice.

- Adolfo

Start building your Success Library!
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook
http://ayearwithoutnews.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment