Monday, June 7, 2010

Day # 12 - This was supposed to be tough; lessons on leadership; day 4 within day 12

I set out to spend an entire year without reading, watching, or otherwise absorbing news. So far, no sweat. I'm moving away from all TV, which is a wonderful thing. Now, I have not become fanatical about it. If I walk into someone's house and the TV is on, I won't ask them to turn it off, I will choose to focus my attention elsewhere. Now, I'm not being cocky. 12 days without news may not sound like a difficult thing, but substitute whatever takes up most of your personal time. (Not including work, family, school, etc.) What do you do on a daily basis that is not benefiting you or your family. Is it hanging out at a bar? Is it an overwhelming obsession with sports? I don't know why I am prompting you. You know where your priorities lie. You may be on the right track. If you're not, I invite you to eliminate the time-leech in your life and do something better. Rise higher.

This experiment is difficult from the standpoint of having to shift priorities, of having to fill time that didn't used to exist. Fortunately, I was already committed to personal development, spending an hour or more a day on it before this project began. Now, I am just accelerating my progress.

This weekend I read a book called: "The Game of Life - and How to Play It." There was nothing new in the book, probably because it was written in 1925. But while the language was lacking the contemporary feel we're used to, the message was timeless. The program outlined in the book is heavy on declarations and big on the belief that what is yours cannot be taken away and what is not rightfully yours cannot become so without hurting someone in the process.

I am a believer in declarations. As a Christian, I believe that you should profess your faith. As a student of human behavior, I believe that what you say and hear determine what kind of day, career, relationships, and life you will ultimately have. Garbage in - garbage out. You cannot achieve what you do not believe. Or, as Donald Trump said, "If you're going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big!"

The pastor Joel Osteen from Houston, Texas, is also a believer in declarations. You know Joel. He's the one they call the "Smiling Pastor." His message is one of positive faith, confidence, and expectancy.

These are biblical principals, which tells you two things: They are not a new fad, and they were written by God, so they work.

After the death of John Wooden, I wrote that the world had lost a giant. Giants are leaders and leadership is sorely lacking in this country. From elected officials who attack private citizens to a President and congress who seem completely unwilling to accept responsibility for anything that is not a success (with the current jokers, that means no responsibility at all.) *I haven't kept up with the news so if all that's changed and these losers have decided to man up, please let me know.

I think about leadership. I think about it a lot. I have been told on several occasions that I am a leader. That may or may not be. Maybe there is a diamond somewhere in there. I know that I want to be a leader and I am working toward that goal. I have some lessons on leadership to share with you.

Part of this quest of mine has been to become a better person. This is not, strictly speaking, about career advancement, money, prestige. This is about potential. Lots of wasted potential in a graveyard. When I look back at my life, many decades from now, I don't want to be the boulder at the top of the mountain, I want to have rolled down to the valley, expending all my energy... all my potential. I have not lost my temper in four days. That sounds frivolous, but it's true. I am also learning patience. I wish I had learned these things when I was 20 years old. (Three years ago... he said, tongue in cheek) But regrets and living in the past are a sure way to screw up your future. Let the next time you look at the mistakes of your past be the last time. Take what you learned from the experience and apply it to a brighter future.

Lessons:

- Nothing is as difficult if you have the right attitude.
- Success may be as simple as getting your priorities in order.
- Declare it with your voice, believe it with your heart, see it in your mind. This works both ways. If all you see are negatives, you are going to find them soon enough. Train your brain. You attract what you think about.

- To lead, you have to have been there. You must walk the talk.
- Leaders are in the trenches, not back at headquarters.
- Leaders share success, and take responsibility for failure.
- Leaders point only to lead the way.

I'm going to leave you with the declaration that Napoleon Hill used in his masterpiece, "Think and Grow Rich." You should say this out loud, daily, and make it part of your routine. Also, I would recommend reading "Think and Grow Rich," as part of your personal development.

The declaration is:

Day by day, in every way, I am getting better and better.

Say it out loud. Say it in the car. Say it in the shower. Even if you don't believe it or you feel silly, just do it. If you keep saying it, you will, soon enough, believe it.

Make it a great day. God bless you.

Adolfo

Start building your Success Library!
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment