Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day # 27 - Stand your ground

Note: Everything write about is inspired by situations I am encountering in my life. These situations are not unique or particularly difficult. In many cases they are everyday situations that we all experience. The difference is in how I react and handle them. Or rather, the difference is in how I don't react.

I am not a pacifist. I believe we live in a world where the best way to preserve peace is by preparing for war. Could you imagine what this world would be like if the United States didn't have most powerful war machine ever to walk the earth? 9/11 would be a daily occurrence. Who knows what language we'd be speaking? The best defense truly is a good offense.

All my life I was very black and white when it came to confrontations. I would either avoid them completely or come down on my adversary with the fury of hell. I think part of the reason I avoided them is beacuse never could control my response. Better to wimp out than freak out, I guess.

Now, I know Christ taught us to turn the other cheek but I'm not sure I'm ready for that. I may never be, though it is a noble goal to become that way. I will say if someone like me can change, anyone can.

Be thoughtful in your responses and firm when stating your positions. Look the person in the eye. Maintain a level tone of voice. Stand or sit up straight (you should do this anyway) to show you are confident and sure of your argument. Focus on the other person, and smile when you feel like pouncing. The simple act of smiling, even if initially forced, will send a calming signal through your body and to your brain. It will literally change your attitude. It can also throw your opponent off his game. Relax your forehead and your shoulders. Don't cross your arms tightly or wring your hands. Stay relaxed so your eyes remain serene in their appearance. All of these actions will have the effect of making you feel the way you are acting.

It's a fool-proof way of being the bigger person without being a wimp.

My government saga from Monday isn't over after all. I need to speak to one of the bureacrats to resolve one last issue. I've called her twice (once per day) with no response. I will call her again today, and if necessary I will call her again tomorrow. If this doesn't work, I will call her at least twice on Friday. I will increase the number of calls per day until my issue is resolved or I am arrested for stalking, but I will be kind and gentle throughout.

Maybe it's because I am a libertarian, but I have always been hostile when it comes to dealing with the government. I have seen too much corruption and sloth and waste. These things offend me. While I will be persistent in my attempts to contact this lady, I will be polite, never threatening or rude. I represent almighty God, and as His ambassador, I must be on my best behavior at all times. I'll let you know how that goes.

Lessons:

- Be confident. Never walk into a situation without preparing for it as best you can.
- Leave emotion out of it. Bullies are angry. Wimps are frightened. Both suck.
- Relax. Everything comes out better when you are relaxed.

Today's Declarations:

- Day by day in every way I am getting better and better
- Today I will learn to confront my adversaries and kill them with kindness
- I will always be persistent in pursuit of my goals

Keep your eyes on the prize. Keep the right attitude. Stand your ground. The world is waiting for you, all you have to do is have the confidence to go out and stake your claim.

Make it your best day ever. God bless you.


Start building your Success Library!
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment