Friday, June 11, 2010

Day # 16 - So what's next. The pursuit of perfection.

So the baton was passed and I am no longer chairman of the Dania Beach Chamber of Commerce. I remain on the board as past chair and the new chair is a good friend and I know she will do a better job than I did. But now, I need to find something to do with my time.

I enjoyed the challenges of the chamber, though having the amazing staff and board I was blessed with made it so nothing was insurmountable and we were able to deal with whatever came our way quite easily. Although I am still going to be a part of the organization, I will miss being the chairman.

There. I'm over it. No sense dwelling on the past.

I mean that. There is no sense dwelling in the past. You can't unscramble eggs, so you have to learn from the past and move on to the future. Learn from it, but don't let longing for the glory days or brooding over the injustices of yesterday keep you from focusing on the future.

We've all been hurt, and we have all done our share of hurting. I think I've always been a good person, but I am not about to say that I never hurt anyone. That would be a lie. It doesn't make me evil, it makes me human. And like all humans, I am a long way from perfect. Perfection is to be pursued, even if we know it can never be attained. It is the pursuit that makes us better.

If you know you have done wrong, make it right. If you have stolen, find a way to return what is not yours. If you've lied, tell the truth. If you have been unkind, be kind. It's not rocket science. Do the right thing every time and each time you do, you are taking a small step toward being the perfect person you will never be. Each of those steps is bringing you closer to God.

Yesterday's breakfast featured a local meteorologist. This being South Florida, the subject of his presentation was, of course, hurricane season. I tried not to listen, although he was well-informed, interesting speaker, because I expected it would all be doom and gloom. It wasn't as bad as I feared. He even seemed to hint that predictions are just educated guesses and shouldn't be given so much weight.

He quoted several predictions including the Federal Government's, which was 14-23 storms, with 8-14 hurricanes. The government managed to be the highest and the lowest at the same time. They always want to have it both ways, he told us.

What the government really wants is to terrify us. It's how they obtain, grow, and hold onto their power. They govern through fear. You cannot pursue your personal perfection if you are afraid. Hurricanes are beyond our control. (Actually, George W. Bush can control them, as he did with Katrina - Barack Obama, on the other hand can't plug an oil leak.) Sorry, I had to do it. This is me exorcising the demons of newscasts past.

Lessons:

- Surround yourself with the right people and nothing is impossible.
- The story of your life is a work in progress. You are the author.
- The end of a good thing is an opportunity to start something better.
- Don't listen to the bad news and scary predictions. Be informed, not obsessed.


Today's Declarations:

- Day by day in every way, I am getting better and better.
- I will surround myself with positive people. I will not be dragged down by naysayers.
- Negative words bounce off of me.
- Bad news and dire predictions do not affect me, because I am in control of my life.
- I will pursue my own perfection. I know the goal is unattainable, but that's the point.
- Today, I am going to let go of the past. I am going to focus on the future. I am the author of my life's story. I will write my own happy ending.

I am sharing declarations every day. Pick and choose any that apply to your situation, or, better yet, make your own declarations. While today may be the day the Lord has made, it is yours to do with as you see fit. Make it count. Today will never happen again.

Make it your best day yet. God Bless You.

Adolfo

Start building your Success Library!
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment