Friday, June 4, 2010

Day # 9 - A wasted day? Not really.

Visit the Success Store

I guess there will always be tests and yesterday was a day of small ones. Twice I took the girls out to the pool and twice it rained. I laughed about it and so did they. Sometimes all we can do is laugh. It's almost 3:30 now and I don't hear any rain. Should I wake them and take them outside for a midnight dip? Maybe not.

A conversation I have been waiting two weeks to have was once again postponed.

ADVICE: Stalling may be a useful negotiating tactic when bargaining for the life of a hostage or the release of political prisoners. In business, it shows weakness and indecision. Perhaps the other side is under the impression that I am desperate. They're wrong. In a negotiation, there are some things you can't control. I am one of them.

I am reading the 2nd Habit: Begin with the end in mind. Wanting things has never been an issue for me, but articulating what I want and writing down goals has. Visualization is a useful exercise. Learning to still my mind... that's the hard part.

I transcribed the notes from Wednesday's trip to the library. Always a good exercise to take notes and then transcribe them. It helps me to learn / memorize things. Translating four pages of my sloppy handwriting is a lot to ask.

I did something I haven't done in a while and I'm not proud of it. I sat in front of the TV for hours. I waited for Abby to come home and stay with the girls, but she didn't get in until after 7 so I missed my final board meeting.

By the way, as far as the TV, I watched "Burn Notice," not news. Lead us not into temptation.

Maybe it's because of the ridiculous hour at which I am writing this, but I have no great insights to share.

Lessons:

-Be awake when you write.
-Don't be a couch potato. There is no worse way to waste a life.
-If you want to learn something, take notes. Then transcribe your notes. Then read your notes.
-In negotiations, set firm guidelines for yourself. Decide your drop-dead price. Decide what you are willing to give up, and what you absolutely cannot live without. Remember that if this deal falls through, there will be another one.



I'm going to read for a while. Make it a great day.

Adolfo

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Visit the Success Store

No comments:

Post a Comment