Friday, June 18, 2010

Day # 22 - Slow down.

It's just after 5 AM. I've been awake for a little while. My headache has calmed way down and it's practically gone. A good friend, someone whom I love and respect immensely, called me yesterday and asked me what was wrong with me. She told me I was trying to do too much and that's not healthy. She ought to know, she's a doctor.

I offered up the weak argument, often heard at workaholics anonymous meetings: At my age, I need to hurry up and get things done. She was right, I was wrong. She's a woman and I am a man so this is not a surprise. It always turns out the same way.

There's a thing about good friends: we see ourselves in them. I don't mean the way we see ourselves in our children. I mean friends hold up the mirror so we can see our true selves. After our chat, I felt energized and renewed.

With friends like these, who needs caffeine?

So, I left work, picked up my girls and had dinner with them. We got home and I did nothing at all. I plopped down on my bed and watched TV. (Did "Burn Notice" jump the shark? - I think they might have.) I brought home my laptop but it sat on the kitchen table like an unwanted plate of leftover something or other.

Sometimes you have to slow down. Personal growth is a lot like working out. I do myself no favors by lifting weights three hours a day every day. If you don't allow the muscles being worked out (the brain and soul in this case) you will burn out. I wasn't aware of this until my friend called me yesterday.

This is why she's my friend and I love her.

As a result of my "slow day" I have little to share. I am listening to an audio recording of "The Richest Man in Babylon." What's with these self-help books being set in the middle east? But today might just be music.

Today's lessons:

- Slow down. It does you no good to go at a thousand miles per hour just to hit a wall.
- Some times it's okay to just veg-out in front of the TV.
- Have friends. Listen to them. Be good to everyone and never burn a bridge.

Today's Declarations:

- Day by day in every way, I am getting better.
- I will work hard, but I will remember to stop and smell the roses.
- Thank you lord, for blessing me with such wonderful friends.

Today is a new day. I look forward to it being headache-free but if not, I keep reminding myself that this is a growing pain. It benefits me in the long run. And the long run is all that matters.

Make it your best day ever. God Bless You.

- Adolfo

Start building your Success Library!
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment