Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day # 7 Part II - Garbage In, Garbage Out

My father in law picked up the girls yesterday. I went to their house later on to get them and sat with them as they watched Nickelodeon and waited for grandma to make their dinner. (I got it good, I know.)

While they ate, I watched the Travel Channel and read e-mails. I wasn't really paying attention to the TV, but there was no chance of News on that network, so it made for safe background noise. Besides, there is only so much Nickelodeon I can stand.

My father in law asked what I thought of the oil spill in the gulf. I told him I wasn't following the story. He nearly fainted. He laughed and mentioned that it was still going on, strong as ever, after 40+ days. I told him this is why I don't watch news anymore.

I am not an environmentalist. I don't believe mankind is responsible for "global warming," in fact, I don't believe the earth is warming. I do recycle. I do not litter, and I try not to be wasteful, but my reasons are more practical:

I recycle because it's the law.
I don't litter because I am not a disrespectful slob. I want the landscape to be beautiful.
I don't waste because it's a stupid thing to do.

TANGENT ALERT: I worked for a guy a while back who called himself an environmentalist. Yet, he would never bring a coffee mug to work. When he had coffee, he drank from a styrofoam cup. This is a tiny example. I know dozens of these people. I, the capitalist pig, had my own, reusable, insulated mug on my desk. Then there's Al Gore, who spends ten times the electricity us capitalist pigs use and flies around in a private jet, and tells us we need to change our lives to save our fragile little planet. Oh, and he won't debate anyone. I tell you that to tell you this: Another reason I don't want to watch news anymore is the breathtaking hypocrisy.

Has anyone finally summoned the testicular fortitude to criticize President Obama's handling of the oil spill?

Back to the story:

What you just witnessed was some of the poison still coursing through my veins finding it's way out of me. It feels good to release it, but I bet it will feel even better not to have it within me at all.

Yesterday was a decent day. The negotiations continue. Stayed up watching "The Soloist," With Jaime Foxx and Robert Downey, Jr. Two amazing actors, a compelling story. I just don't think that movie was ever going to end. I finally gave up and went to bed. The film didn't seem to be going anywhere. Maybe I was just tired.

Lesson 1: Commit. Whatever it is. See it through.
Lesson 2: When you begin your journey of of personal development, tell the people around you. They may look at you funny, but they will support you.
Lesson 3: Begin to eliminate the garbage you ingest. If you want to stop drinking, you should probably stop going to bars. If you don't want to eat cookies, don't keep them in your house. Do not kid yourself. Will power is great, but there is no need to lead yourself into temptation. Stay away from your particular poison, especially during the transition. The time will come when you are strong enough to withstand any barrage, but until then, stay out of the battle zone.

God bless you and make it a great day.

Adolfo

Start building your Success Library!
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment