Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day # 21 - Are we there yet?

I've had a headache since Monday. I also haven't slept all that well since Saturday. I think it's the combination of several things. The new job, being away from my kids after being, essentially, a stay-at-home dad for six months. I also have had no caffeine since Friday. That means today is day 6 within day 21.

Maybe I'm trying to do too much...

Oh well, if you're going to go, go big!

I think the headache is a symptom of withdrawal. Before you roll your eyes, try giving up caffeine, whether in the form of coffee, soda, or tea. It's not easy. I've been consuming it since before I can remember. Pepsi has always been a part of my life. I've been a coffee drinker since I was about 19 (two years - ahem.) These are habits that we don't even know we have. And while I had started slowing down on soda intake years ago, I almost always had coffee in the morning. So when I decided to stop, cold turkey, by the way, they don't make a caffeine patch, I thought it would be easy.

This is hard. The headaches are constant. I have one as we speak. But I also know that if I don't go full-tilt, total commitment, it'll never work.

I told you that to tell you this:

No pain, no gain. I know its cliche`, but that doesn't mean it isn't true.

This whole project started out as me giving up one addiction: news. It has evolved. It is said that it takes 21 days to make or break a habit. I can honestly say that the positive information I have been consuming for the last three weeks has made the news so unpalatable that I may never go back. I may become the word's first right-wing capitalist libertarian hippie.

I walked out of my office yesterday. We have a newspaper dispenser outside the lobby. The front page read:

PRESIDENT PREPARES BATTLE PLAN

There were two other, smaller headlines. I don't remember what they were, but they were equally negative. I used to live for that trash!

I AM CURED!!!!

Now, if I could make my head stop hurting. And, no, I will not be swallowing any aspirin for the headaches. Why stop one drug to replace it with another.

Lessons:

- Time heals all addictions. Even the silly ones. And, by the way, all addictions are bad. Even the silly ones.
- No pain, no gain.
- Do it with your own strength. Remember, there are no shortcuts to any place worth going.
- Headaches come and go.

Today's Declarations:

- Day by day in every way, I am getting better and better.
- I will deal with the headaches, for they are the growing pains of my personal development.
- Today, I begin to deal with my addictions.
- I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

I am going to lay in the dark for a while and calm this headache. If anyone has a suggestion on how I can naturally deal with it, I'm all ears. Remember that anything is possible if you believe it. A friend of mine once told me, that having anything is possible. The only question is, how bad do you want it?

May today be your best day ever. God bless you.

-Adolfo

Start building your Success Library!
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment