Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day # 20 - Making the moment count.

So, here I am. It's 1:46 AM as I begin to write this. I am exhausted so I hope this will be coherent. If it's not, apologize do truly I. Okay, so exhaustion doesn't make me witty. I get it. Let's move on. I have had insomnia for years. I have a hyperactive mind and it screams during the small hours. Often I supress it and get my five or six (or more) hours and all's good. Other times it becomes too much work to sleep and well, here we are...

I could lay in bed, staring at the darkness, allowing my mind to wander, but I am not at a point where a wandering mind would necessarily be a good thing. I am still learning to master my thoughts and train my mind. So, until I learn to calm the voices in my head, I let them tell me what to write.

I am making these moments count.

I started a new job on Monday and it's, shall we say, challenging. I know the stress and pressure of the new job have to do with it, and it will pass as I settle in, but since I can't fight it - I embrace it.

You may be wondering, so I'll answer: because I don't like taking pills. MaybeI should have had a cup of tea. I will definitely start the tea thing. Chamomille, perhaps.

But what I am doing with these hours is something we should do with every moment in our lives. Don't waste your time. You never get it back. Don't watch the news - again. Don't stare at the TV when there's nothing on. Of course you do that. We've all griped that there's nothing good on TV while sitting our butts on the couch and continuing to watch the nothing.

Pick up a book, for God's sake! It will not kill you, I promise. Unless you pick it up while driving or operating heavy machinery in which case it could kill you, or injure you. But seriously. I know most of you reading this read books - or have in the past. If you've gotten out of that habit, get back into it. Ease into it with an old favorite. I recommend "Green Eggs and Ham," by Dr. Seuss. I mean it. One of the best books I've ever read and I've read thousands of them.

Please understand, I am not talking about any time you can't sleep. I am talking about finding time where you think you don't have any. And I don't mean the only way to spend this time is by reading. Spend time with your family. Take a walk. Work out. Have a conversation with someone you love. Make the moment count.

NEWS FLASH: You ain't gonna live forever. You hear it all the time. No one lays on their deathbed wishing they had watched more TV or spent more time in the office. They would all trade everything they had for more time - with family, friends, lovers, hobbies. The good news is that you don't have to wait until you're on your way out. Make the choice now.

I don't want to die with regrets. Do you? I don't want to wonder what could have been. I don't want to look at my kids and wonder where the time went. I want to look at them and remember how we spent the time.

Lessons:

- Live each day to the fullest.
- Make time for what truly matters. Who cares about the damn oil spill?
- In real life, there are no reruns. If you miss something, you've missed it forever.

Today's Declarations:

- Day by day, in every way, I am getting better and better.
- Today, I will begin making each moment count.
- Today, I will align my time with my priorities.
- Today, I will take time wasted on the banal and invest it in tomorrow's memories.

I think I'll read a bit and try to get a few hours of sleep. Very few. I don't want to miss anything.

Make it your best day ever! God bless you.

- Adolfo

Start building your Success Library!
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment