Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Day # 7 - Inventory in real time.

Rather than waiting until tomorrow to share what I've learned today, I figured I would give you a little insight into my development thus far:

1st Corinthians 9:24 - "Don't you realize that in a race everyone runs but only one person gets the prize?"

I know that the most important lesson we give our children is to never give up. I played checkers on Sunday night with my seven year old. It was very lopsided as she had never really played before. I felt a little bad about it, and being an idiot, as I am wont to do, I asked if she wanted to stop. She answered "No, I want to finish." How can I not be in love with her.

This morning was her awards ceremony at school. Once again she was named to the President's Honor Roll. It was her third time receiving the honor this year. She made the "A" Honor Roll in the first grading period. When the few kids who made the President's list in all four periods were called up, she began to cry. When Abby and I asked her why she was crying, she told us she was disappointed.

I didn't cry, but I wanted to. Here's a kid who has already gotten more A's then I did in my entire academic career, but she was still not satisfied. She is my hero. She is in a private school with extremely high academic standards. This is not an easy accomplishment.

The lesson: Kids listen. I always tell my kids to never give up and never stay down when they fall.

I have been in an intense negotiation over a business arrangement for the last two weeks. I want the deal to work, but not if it means getting the shaft. It is my feeling that the other side is altering the terms of our original agreement and I can't allow that. The fight continues.

The lesson: Don't sell yourself short. Honor your agreements so that you can demand the same of others.

It's still early. There will be more lessons today, including a little something called Ubuntu.

Today's Lessons:

Kids listen. Everything you say shapes the person your child will become.
Don't sell yourself short. Know your worth. Never be afraid to toot your own horn.
If you don't honor your word, you can't expect that others will honor theirs.

Start building your Success Library!
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment