Monday, August 2, 2010

Day # 67 - Happy solitude

There's a song, "The Spirit of Radio" by Rush. The song, for some reason or other, has always inspired me. Back around the time my son Steven was born, in 1990, this song was playing all the time. I came to believe that any time I heard this song, something good would happen. I used to be a superstitious lad. That's all behind me.

I heard the song on Saturday as I was working and reminded myself that good things always would happen when I heard it so I knew Saturday was going to be a good day. Then I realized how screwy my thinking was.

Now, Saturday was a good day, but that had nothing to do with the music playing on the radio, it had to do with the message playing in my head. If my thoughts are positive, my day will be too. Negative thoughts will equal a lousy day. What plays on your car stereo will invariably color your thoughts. This is why I don't listen to news any more. How can you be happy when your ears are constantly assaulted by rape, murder, economic depression, and war. I heard July 2010 was the deadliest month yet for U.S. troops in Afghanistan. This saddens me. Had I read every detail and listened to every report as I would have 67 days ago, it would have depressed the hell out of me. It's bad enough to hear bad news, but to dwell on it... I choose not to anymore.

I love being with my family. I love my friends, but I love myself, too. I am the person I get along with best. Time alone with me is a pretty cool thing. (Many would disagree, I'm sure.) There's something about being alone without music, without TV, without people. It's good to listen to your own thoughts, to pray, meditate, focus, or not focus at all. Make time to do it. Don't say you have no time. If you can update Facebook 20 times a day and watch TV, you can find the time to listen to your mind. Even just a few extra minutes in the shower. Just let the water run over your head and listen to the sound it makes. The extra buck on your water bill is more than worth it and the environment will not be affected. I promise you.

Back to Rush. "The Spirit of Radio" was a catalyst. I was convinced that some outside force determined the kind of day (therefore the kind of life) I would have. I never even played the song although I owned the CD. I am learning day by day about the choices I have to make. I don't live in the past and the only reason I go back to it is to learn. Who cares what's on the radio? What difference can it possibly make? If a song makes you happy, blast it. If it sours your mood, change it! This is why radios bring volume and tuning controls. Use them. And don't forget the radio has an on / off switch. Use that, too. Enjoy the happy solitude.

Today's Lessons:

- You determine the effect of every little thing on your life.
- Spend a little time alone. Get reacquainted with yourself.
- External stimuli can be ignored - especially if they are negative.

Today's Declarations:

- Day by day in every way I am getting better and better.
- I determine my mood. I decide what kind of day I'm going to have.
- I am happy.

Right now, switch off the computer and spend a couple of minutes alone without TV or radio or people around. Let your mind wander to happy places, your kids, the person you love. Then try to clear your mind. Close your eyes and focus on the dark. Relax. Enjoy. Let me know how it went.

Make it your best day yet. God bless you.

- Adolfo

Start building your Success Library!
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook
Follow A Year Without News

No comments:

Post a Comment