Monday, August 30, 2010

Day # 95 - Friends like these

I think I'm a pretty nice guy. I do my best to please people. I always have. Sometimes to my own detriment. I was never a "look out for Number One" kind of guy. Sometimes I think that if I were, I would somehow get more respect. But I am not about to trade in my humanity.

A few months ago, I went to work for some friends. They wanted to expand their business and I was looking for a new job after being let go from the bank where I had worked for the previous three years.

To save unnecessary details: it didn't work out. I was seen by people one way, the job didn't suit that image, so getting clients was not easy. My "partners" are semi-retired, so when I did land a client, if I needed help and it was too far away or the deal would be too labor-intensive, I was told to let it go, that it was "not worth it." I disagreed, because I needed to raise money for my family, but what was I going to do?

Now, these guys won't even speak to me. There are a few, minor, loose ends to sew up so if they have a question, I get a text message instead of a phone call. Welcome to the 8th grade, OMG! I am inclined to slap the hell out of people who act this way, but I know it's not productive. So, I pray for them. I pray that the devil will no longer use them in the way he is using them. I would have loved for our friendship to continue in spite of the business arrangement not succeeding, but some people need drama. Don't be one of those people. If you already are, change. Soon enough you will lose friends.

When I mentioned the devil in the previous paragraph, I was serious. The enemy will use people to get to you. All he cares about is hurting God. He's still pissed. The only way he can get to God, is through us. Don't let people take your joy and don't destroy them when they do. Chances are, they're under influences they don't even understand. Anger, jealousy, envy, all of those negative feelings are meant to destroy us and our relationships. Don't allow it.

I apologize if my writing is contrived this morning. I am trying not to give too much away here.

Choose your friends carefully. Remember, if you have a friend who badmouths other people to you, chances are this friend is throwing you under every available bus, too. I should have followed my gut and kept these people as friends. Instead, I missed other opportunities only to be treated like a leper in the end. Always follow your gut. Enough. Make it a great day.

- Adolfo


Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook
Follow A Year Without News

No comments:

Post a Comment