Saturday, August 14, 2010

Day # 79 - How we see things

We don't see things how they are, we see things as we are. Bias is going to happen. It's practically impossible to be completely impossible. Yesterday I had a conversation with a few friends, all of whom I care about and respect, none of whom I agree with on the question of politics.

I am a libertarian. I don't believe the government has ever solved a problem. I think whenever the government sticks its nose in a problem, it gets worse. I think of welfare and education as two glaring examples of where the government got into areas with the stated intention of helping and have done more harm than good. When my liberal friends mention this. I tell them that as education spending has increased so has the rate of illiteracy in the US. The best they can do is say it has to do with Republicans. Who cares? The point is that it doesn't work! That's how I see it.

I have hard times like anyone else. I am proud of what I have endured and overcome in my lifetime. I also know that my hard times haven't been all that bad. I have learned to look at these things as challenges designed to make me stronger. I have learned not to yell every time I get a flat tire, cursing God and asking why the universe hates me. I don't care. These are bumps in the road, not roadblocks. The really serious ones are detours, but there is no turning back. I passed the point of no return a million miles ago. I wouldn't want to go back even if I could.

The biggest reason I am a libertarian is my belief in people. I believe in the power of every person to affect his own life. I believe you can be born in a ghetto and become president and I believe you can be born in a mansion and wind up eating out of dumpsters. I believe this is the beauty of life. I believe this is why there isn't, and should never be, a constitutional "guarantee" of happiness. All we are given is the opportunity to pursue it. How fast are you willing to run? Are you a jogger, or are you going to run until your sides hurt and your mouth tastes like pennies and your knees feel like they'll collapse under your weight?

Are you running from your problems or are you running after happiness, a better life, success, and the blessings that are yours to be earned? Are you looking for opportunities or excuses? Are you a woman, and therefore disadvantaged? Or are you a person of substance and therefore unstoppable? Are you a person of color? Or are you a colorful, imaginative person who knows no bounds?

Everything in your life, your upbringing, your race, religion, gender, orientation, age, background, your name, your family, literally everything about you can be a reason or an excuse. It's all in how you see it.

Thought for today:

- When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Jim Rohn.


God bless you. Make it your best day yet.

- Adolfo


Start building your Success Library!
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook
Follow A Year Without News

No comments:

Post a Comment