Friday, August 13, 2010

Day # 78 - The box! What's in the box?

Don't you hate the expression, "think outside the box"? Isn't using that expression indicative of "inside the box" thinking? In my experience, creative thinking shouldn't be categorized. You should just think. Allow your mind to do it's thing. Don't talk to yourself about limits or boxes because these activities take away from what you should be thinking about. I am a curious individual and I want to learn about most things. I want to understand everything. Maybe I don't want to understand math. I just don't see the point. It's been over twenty years since high school and I was right and the teachers were wrong: I have never used algebra in the real world. Who's the smart one now?

Don't answer that.

Creative thinking isn't about painting on canvas or writing poetry. It's about finding solutions to problems. It's finding a way around or over when through is not an option. It's understanding that you don't have all the answers. Actually, it's admitting you don't have all the answers. Creative thinking leads to creative actions and it takes guts. It takes the kind of courage a lot of people don't have. The sad part is that they don't even realize that fear of the new is the millstone around their necks.

The worse that can happen when you try a new approach is that your approach fails and you have to try something else. You didn't fail. You only fail when you fail to try. Forget the box, get off your cowardly ass and make something happen. Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently. Never beginning in the first place is casting your failure in bronze.

When you try a different approach, there will be "in the box" thinkers who will shoot your idea down. I think of them as in a cage rather than a box. These nay-sayers are slaves to convention, to fear, and to insecurity. They make up their mind about a project before even thinking it through. These are the people with a head full of dreams and a pocket full of lint.

Yesterday I told you about a consulting gig I am doing. I have never really been a consultant, but someone saw my ability and I decided to give it a shot. The result was like yoga for the mind: I found myself using muscles I didn't know I had.

When I started HoneyBee Party Rental, I had no idea about the party rental business. I had never rented a bounce house for my own children. Didn't know the first thing about it. But when we decide to do it, I went all in. I spent the money, did the research and learned what to do by watching my competition and what not to do from my own mistakes. Some of those mistakes were costly, but they were an investment in my development as a business owner.

Two thoughts for today:

- When a true genius arrives in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. - Jonathan Swift

- Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein.

Declarations:

- Day by day in every way I am getting better and better.
- I am unlimited. I am creative. God never gives me more than I can handle. I just need to believe in myself as much as He does.



Start building your Success Library!
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook
Follow A Year Without News

No comments:

Post a Comment