Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day # 89 - The 40-Hour Work Weak!

There are no perfect situations. Each situation, good or bad, is what you make of it. You decide whether it's a good day or a bad day. You decide if that email from your boss will ruin your evening or your weekend or even part of your vacation. We live in the 24-hour world so it's easy for work and its aggravations to follow you home. You need to decide whether that's acceptable or not.

I work practically around the clock. I sleep around six hours and will start the morning by checking emails, which is how I end my day. I have been up since five this morning (it's now 5:27) and here I am writing my blog, which is work. I will make and take a few calls after dropping off the kids this morning. In fact, I have a collection call to make. It shouldn't be unpleasant, but it's never fun to ask for money, even if it is owed to you.

But let's be honest: no one ever built a successful career or business working forty hours per week. As Brian Tracy said, "The forty hour work-week is the worst bill of goods ever sold to the American people." He's right. While I believe in work-life balance, I believe that if you want to have more, you have to do more. 40 is the number of survival.

I have a full-time plus job (about 60 hours including work done at home via Crackberry and laptop) I own a business, which takes little time, a few hours a week. I write this blog, and I serve on a couple of community boards. I also find time to network. I also read about a book a week. How can I achieve work-life balance? Simple:

I choose what my life should be. I don't watch television anymore. I disconnected the cable. I should have done it years ago. I don't miss it. My kids are more active and less sarcastic because they're not trying to make the same wise remarks I-Carly or Hannah Montana pass off as humor. I also limit my social activities, trying to do as many of them as possible during work hours. I rarely go out for a drink (once or twice a year - yes, year.) I don't have a regular poker game I attend. I don't spend my Sundays glued to the television watching football. I do watch the Dolphins and some times a couple more games, but I don't obsess about it. And now that I don't have cable, that' probably over. I don't sleep in and I don't demand me time. I make "me" time. I do it by waking up 90 minutes before anyone else in the house.

How to achieve work-life balance:

- Prioritize: Eliminate what really doesn't matter, like TV.
- Schedule: There is a time for work and a time for family- if you make it so.
- Live in the Now!: When you are at work, work. When you are at play, play. You'll get more work done, and you'll get more joy out of the time spent with family and friends.

The truth is, I only know what works for me. I am done with my morning work and I still have about 30 minutes to myself before the morning insanity starts. I'll drop off the kids, go get a quick workout, and get to work. When I am at work, I will focus on work. Then I'm going to get a haircut. I really need one.

God bless you and make it a great day.

- Adolfo



http://www.honeybeepartyrental.com
Start building your Success Library!
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook
Follow A Year Without News

No comments:

Post a Comment