Sunday, August 29, 2010

Day # 94 - Spin Psycho

What a day yesterday. I started the morning with a spin class. I was determined to do it. In my case, it's always been a matter of finding the time more than the motivation, but I also believe there is always time to be found. We have to just shift our priorities. How much time do you spend watching TV? What are you getting out of it? How much time do you spend in traffic each day? What's on the radio? Often, you're just misusing your time. This is one of the lessons I have learned thus far.

Exercise as a metaphor for personal development?:

Aside from the instructor and myself, everyone in that spin class was a woman. Talk about motivation! I hadn't taken a spin class in about two years. I wasn't expecting to take anyone home or anything, but it's one of those guy things. Quitting sucks, it sucks more in front of a room full of girls. I looked around at some of the ladies as they walked in and they didn't seem to be in amazing physical condition, just average. A ways into the class, when none of them had stopped but my legs were burning and I was gasping a little for air and wanted to quit, looking at them kept me going.

By the way, if you're not familiar with spinning, it's what happens when you combine a stationary bicycle with a CIA secret torture prison.

Sometimes we are motivated by our desires: It was my desire to lose weight and improve my overall physical condition that got me into that class. And other timers we are motivated by external stimuli: There was no way I was going to rest, much less quit, in front of a room full of people - especially women.

I came home yesterday from spinning and was treated to four hours of hard labor. Last night, I went to work around 9:00 PM and worked until about 1:30AM. My back is killing me, my legs are sore, and I feel great. I did what I set out to do. I didn't quit and didn't slow down. That's how it's done.

Next spin class is on Wednesday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Remember: It doesn't really matter where your motivation comes from, as long as you don't ignore it. Use the motivation in your quest to become the best person you can be.

And spin psycho spin!

- Adolfo

Start building your Success Library!
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook
Follow A Year Without News

No comments:

Post a Comment