Sunday, August 8, 2010

Day # 73 - Honest dealings

We have all dealt with people who are less than honest. Chances are you are dealing with someone right now who is less than honest. We are all guilty of omitting the occasional detail. We have all told a lie. No one's perfect. It's when dishonesty becomes policy that we're headed down a slippery slope.

A friend of mine was just put into an awkward situation with his employer. My friend is a hard worker, and he knows his business. He had decided to quit over a disagreement with his bosses, a disagreement over which he was expecting to be relieved of his position. They convinced him to stay, convincing him things would be different. Less than two weeks went by. He finished a big project and was told to hit the bricks. Literally, he had just finished the project thirty minutes prior to his dismissal. That's rough.

It's important to play your cards close to your chest, but to manipulate a person's entire life to suit your short-term goals is an awful abuse, particularly if you are the person's employer because we're talking about a person's life and livelihood.

Liars and thieves are among the worst people to deal with and the line between the due is barely perceptible. You wouldn't leave a known thief alone in your home for obvious reasons. You wouldn't believe someone you know to be a liar because you don't know where the truth ends and the lying begins. Once you have experienced this, the relationship is strained.

***DISCLAIMER***

I am not implying that I have never lied. I've told my share of lies and maybe more. But I have learned from my past experiences (read: mistakes) and have made honesty my policy. The truth eventually finds the light of day so why bother? Think of how many details you have to remember when you lie. Anyone who knows me knows I am not a detail person. I'm just going to level... with everyone.

Now, the situation my friend found himself in does not affect me in any real sense. I happen to know his employer (I know lots of people) but I don't know their side of the story. The truth is I don't want to know it. I am not indicting anyone, I am taking what I know about the situation and squeezing a few drops of wisdom from it. I don't think anyone would argue with my goal here.

Today's Lessons:

- Honesty is the best policy.
- When you're a liar, you have to remember every detail of every conversation. What hassle!
- Pinocchio. Enough said.

Today's Declarations:

- Day by day in every way I am getting better and better.
- I will be honest in my dealings with family, friends, co-workers, clients, and everyone I come in contact with.

Just be honest. Speak the truth. You'll sleep better, you'll feel better. You'll be better.

Make it your best day yet. God bless you.

-Adolfo


Start building your Success Library!
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook
Follow A Year Without News

No comments:

Post a Comment