Saturday, August 21, 2010

Day # 86 - Opportunity II

The opportunity I wrote about a week or so ago is still in process. Time is of the essence. Literally. This deal has to get done in about six days or it will end up costing us an additional 100k at a minimum. I met with an major player in the deal yesterday. He is a very shrewd young man. In all honesty, I went in there expecting something totally different than what I got. I decided to lay all my cards face up on the table and it seems to me he did the same.

It proved that even though sometimes in a negotiation you have to hold back some information, you must be honest and make an effort to be friends with the person on the other side of the table. The world is small enough that you can end up across the table from him again some day. If you can make a deal, fine. If you can't, then it's always best to part friends.

Now I have to go back to the party I am representing and give them what I think is good news, but what they may consider bad news. I can't go into too much detail, but essentially what I need to do is sell them a $10 bill for a buck. Sounds easy, but they want it for a dime. I am working for experience here so I don't stand to make a dime if the deal falls through. I make approximately a dime if I am successful.

There are many opportunities in this situation and the biggest for me is the experience I am gaining. I hope I will get this wrapped up soon so I can reveal what it's all about. Until then, keep guessing.

Lessons:

- It's always better to negotiate as friends.
- Honesty is still the best policy.
- You won't gain unless you are willing to give.

I have a fun day planned today. I hope you do, too. God bless you and make it your best day yet.

- Adolfo

Start building your Success Library!
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook
Follow A Year Without News

No comments:

Post a Comment