Monday, August 23, 2010

Day # 88 - A Little Friendly Competition

Back in June, I announced I would give up caffeine. I have. As you see, it hasn't affected me, because it's 5:29AM as I write this and I've been up for a while. My life has improved. More importantly, my children are pretty much at zero caffeine. We serve water with every meal in the house now. I also gave up fast food for the most part. There have been a couple of lapses, but I try to go with the best choices. Abby is also losing weight and changing her eating habits. In fact, she is at the YMCA pool right now. Tomorrow morning it's my turn for an early morning swim.

For ten years we have been one another's enabler. One of us would take our health seriously and the other wouldn't be interested or supportive. Now, we have made a game of it. Every morning we are on the Wii Fit Plus weighing ourselves, congratulating one another on our progress. We go walking, swimming, or bowling. We have eliminated junk food from the house. Abby is a great baker (it was the family business a few years back) and has been experimenting with new recipes, but most of it is out the door to our testers so we don't see it or we see very little of it. Small disciplines are adding up to big differences.

Of course, there is the trash talking. We challenge one another constantly. I keep reminding her that I am the superior athlete and she reminds me of her superior will power. We never hurt one another. We each have a vested interest in the other's success, so we're just having fun and keeping each other motivated.

It's hard to change your life without someone to be accountable to. I've tried it several times and failed. 88 days into this and I feel accountable to the readers of this blog. I feel accountable to my parents and mostly to my children, who deserve a healthy father. Mostly, though, I am accountable to myself. I owe it to myself to be my best. God has blessed me with two hands, two arms, two legs and feet, not too bad of a brain in my head. For me not to use everything I have to the best of my ability would be a sin. Sadly, it is a sin committed by millions and millions of people every day. Are you one of them? If so, I challenge you to make one little change. Maybe less TV, more exercise, giving up alcohol. Work a little harder. Save more money. For me, it started with giving up news and it is compounding daily. The same can happen to you. 277 days to go and who knows where I'll land!

Today's Lessons:

- We are all competitive to some degree (or should be) so make a competition out of your goals, even if it's the person you want to be competing against the person you used to be.

- Be accountable to someone. Whatever you're trying to accomplish, find a buddy. Join a Meetup group or get together with some friends or co-workers, and be the voice in each other's ear.

- Don't be afraid to engage in a little friendly smack talking. Always respectful, of course.

- Make a competition out of goals and then make a game of competition.

Today's Declarations:

- Day by day in every way I am getting better and better.

- I am working toward my goals and I am focused.

- I am unstoppable.
Start building your Success Library!
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook
Follow A Year Without News

No comments:

Post a Comment