Friday, December 3, 2010

Day # 190 - Free at Last

For a while now, I've been writing about certain situations, mostly related to business and management, without giving too many details. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to know I was referring to my own job and my unhappiness with it. I was cryptic because I was being respectful of my employers and protective of my job.

Well, that's all over now. After months of misery, of being under-appreciated, overworked, and underpaid, I resigned. There was no fit of rage, no "Jerry Maguire" speech, no AK-47. I didn't even stop and say good-bye to my co-workers. I simply responded to yet another insulting email written in broken English by a person who is not my boss, with: "Effective immediately, I resign my position as director of sales." I hit send. I walked out. I came home, made lunch, and helped Abby with spring cleaning (I know it's not spring - you get me.)

The calls came after, along with promises that all I deserved was just around the corner, like the drunk who promises his wife as she walks out the door that he was planning to go to the meeting next week. Too little too late.

My former boss asked how I could make a decision as serious as this one in a moment of anger. I told him the moment I walked out was the end of my anger. It was an easy decision, one that instantly brought peace. It wasn't about them or about me; we just weren't the right fit.

I learned more in the time working for this company than in any other similar period of time in my life. I learned:

- Get it in writing. Although we want to believe the best in people, written agreements help define what that is. Although most of us would never steal or kill, knowing there are laws meant to punish those who do provides comfort to us, as well as a behavioral guideline.

- Set the expectations. I gave too much for too little. It's hard to get someone to expect any different once you spoil them.

- Stand your ground. Not an inch of our territory, not a stone of our fortress. If you give someone an inch, they will take you a mile. Draw your boundaries and adhere to them; if you don't, no one else will.

- Respect: Give it, earn it, expect it, demand it. If you allow yourself to be disrespected once, you'd best get used to it.

- Know your value and demand it.

I may eventually sit down and write a memoir of this experience. It has been eye-opening and educational. I learned a lot about what not to do in business and I think the world could benefit from the knowledge - especially younger people coming up in business.

I am free. I know where I've been. I know where God is taking me. I'll let you know when I get there.

God bless you. Make it a great day. Be free.

- Adolfo

No comments:

Post a Comment