Friday, December 24, 2010

Day # 211 - Noche Buena

I've always loved Christmas Eve. Mostly because Cubans, like many Hispanics, are too impatient to wait until Christmas to open their gifts, so we wait until midnight (or earlier) to open them. It gives away the Santa Secret maybe, but who cares? I want presents!

I have tried to build my own traditions with my family and for the most part, they've worked fine, but there are some which I love. Noche Buena is one of them. The family will gather, eat, and chat, and watch Christmas movies. Same thing the Gringos do, but sooner. Christmas becomes Boxing Day, when we go visit relatives so the kids can pick up what Santa left in other houses for them. It's when we pass out the socks and the perfume and the books. Speaking of which, last year I got my mom a book and a pair of soft slippers. She asked if I was planning to send her to a home. That crafty old woman was on to me from the start!

The important thing is the fun of being with your family and loving them as best you can. A hug and kiss mean more than the ribbons and bows and what's beneath them. In the end, when fate separates us from the ones we love, it's the hugs and kisses and voices that we'll miss, not the stuff.

Love someone today. And every day. Let every day be a good day and every night be a Noche Buena. Don't be reserved in your emotion; love with reckless abandon. Call a relative who's far away; a sister or brother, an old roommate, someone who may be alone. Wish them a Merry Christmas. Let them know someone is thinking about them. You never know what a difference you can make in a person's life.

God bless you. Make it a great day.

- Adolfo

No comments:

Post a Comment