Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Day # 201 - A Good Omen

I started my new position yesterday. What an exciting moment! It's one of those times when the world seems to be wide open and you can step out and conquer it. That is, of course, as long as your van starts, and you can be entered into the system, and there's a wireless connection so your paperwork can be completed...

I was supposed to take my company vehicle yesterday but it wouldn't start. Also, it was leaking gas, lots of it, so I'm kind of glad it didn't start. Who knows? It was one of those days where everything that could have gone wrong, did. And you know what? I couldn't be happier.

My boss kept apologizing; I kept telling her not to worry, that this was a good omen, that all it meant was that great things were heading our way. Nothing as simple as a car not starting was going to ruin my first day at a great new company. She laughed at how I kept smiling. The truth is that I was happy. I felt no anger or disappointment. I have learned that these things are part of God's plan. I wasn't meant to go out today. Now, my van will be fixed up, the oil changed, tires rotated, new car smell re-introduced (okay, that was a stretch, it's pretty new already.)

It's been a recurring theme throughout this blog: don't let the little things steal your joy. I could have looked at this situation and told myself that I'd made a bad choice, that this was a disaster, that I should cut my losses and run, or, I could have simply let it sour my mood. No, instead, I decided to laugh about it, knowing one day, I'll write it all down, every detail, in a memoir of how the toughest year of my life was also the best year of my life, and how the rest and best of my life started on a day when everything seemed to go wrong.

Today, laugh at the little things. Learn not to worry about things that don't matter in the big picture. Develop a sense of perspective and accept that things happen for a reason and that while not all things may seem good, all things come together for good if you believe.

God bless you. Make it the best day yet.

- Adolfo

1 comment: